Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

how long is a stomach virus contagious? my sister and her family

how long is a stomach virus contagious? my sister and her family had it over the weekend and we went to her house for christmas today.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately-

How long back they had recovered from this virus?
Did they( your sister and their family) have any symptoms at this time?
Do you have any symptoms at this time?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they recovered from their symptoms about two days ago. i do not have any symptoms. my entire family was there having christmas dinner.

Thanks for quick input.

Ideally, People are contagious for at least 2 days after all stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) symptoms have completely stopped and they feel perfectly fine.

Though studies have shown that the viruses are present in the stool for two weeks and sometimes longer so a person can be contagious even longer, but this fact doesn't fit in many practical cases.

But practically, Patients are no longer considered contagious if they have not had a fever for 24 hours. If all their symptoms have gone away and there is no blood or mucus in the stools, no fever and no diarrhea and you they have not vomited within 24 hours, then usually they are not contagious.
It is advised that infected person, should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer , this is the most effective way to stop the spread of these viruses to others.

You would be pretty safe, and i would not panic for getting stomach flu.

If you have any further query then please feel free to ask.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.