Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn
8534737

Hi I am preganat at week 10. I suffer from vomitting and

Customer Question

Hi
I am preganat at week 10. I suffer from vomitting and I loose my apetite to eat or drink. What I shall do? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in pregnancy...small frequent meals is key.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

an empty stomach in pregnancy usually will result in nausea if not vomiting.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

next...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

a lot of women suffer from reflux in pregnancy, which may cause vomiting.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

tums may help with that...if that's the issue.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there are some natural remedies to try as well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ginger....ginger ale is just fine and can help with nausea.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

vitamin B6 - take half of a pill daily

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that has been shown to help as well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if that doesn't work you can combine 1/2 of a vitamin B6 tab with 1/2 of a unisom tab....that usually works well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if these don't help the next thing is a prescription medication.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

most commonly is phenergan and zofran, but require a prescription from your doctor.

Customer:

The main issue is that I am loosing my apetite I do not want to eat or smell any kind of food. I thought that I might hate one or two kinds or so but for me from about 2 weeks i just eat bread with little water. i tried genger but I does not work with me.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

as long as you don't have pain and a fever..it's probably normal.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and...feeling ill all the time, it is common to not want to eat if you're simply going to feel like throwing up afterwords.

Customer:

yes exactly

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if this happens only when you eat, try taking the tums before hand.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if it happens all the time...try the B6 and unisom trick I mentioned.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If that doesn't work...ask for zofran or phenergan.

Customer:

do I need intravanous fluids?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It certainly can get to that.

Customer:

can I take B6 and unisom with materna pills?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If your urine is very concentrated and your heart beat is fast...probably wouldn't hurt.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes.

Customer:

If your urine is very concentrated and your heart beat is fast...probably wouldn't hurt

Customer:

I did not get it

Customer:

waht will not hurt?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

IV fluids

Customer:

Also my urine is concentrated and cloudy

Customer:

Is cloudyness normal?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

probably if you are dehydrated, but can also be an infection.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you should have this checked out.

Customer:

Ok my appointment is at mid January

Dr. Pfeiffer :

before that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

call tomorrow and see if they can work you in.

Customer:

so wen I call shall I just mention that to them

Customer:

because till now I did not see my doctor

Customer:

in mid January is my first appointment

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..tell them you keep getting sick. can't hold anything down and feel that you are dehydrated.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

they may see you, send you to the ER or to your primary care doctor...but you need to be seen

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the good news is....this usually resolves by 20 weeks..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I know that sounds like a long way away, but there is usually an end to all of this.

Customer:

Ok sounds good

Thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure.

Customer:

I hpoe soo

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome.

Customer:

bye

Dr. Pfeiffer :

me too

Dr. Pfeiffer :

bye

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please remember to rate my service good/excellent

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you need help rating...it should be a smiley face

Customer:

I am trying but it did not work with me

Customer:

I do not know why

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn