Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

What are the shelf-lives of morphine sulfate pills and of heroin

What are the shelf-lives of morphine sulfate pills and of heroin (NOT in an aqueous solution)?

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

The morphine sulphate tablet has a shelf life of about 3 years when stored below 25 degree celsius temperature.So your 200mg tablet should not be used beyond 3 years.The expiry date is written of the packing as well.

The heroine is the diacetyl form of morphine and it also decomposes when stored for a long time.It usually decomposes as well beyond 5 years so it should not be used after 5 years after manufacturing.The storage is done in dark at room temperature.

Here is the link for more information

heroine decompositio

Please feel free to reply me if you have any doubt or any more queries.Rate me 5 or 4 to give credit for my work.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much of their potency is gone by 3 years (for the morphine sulphate tablet) and 5 years (for the heroin)? By the way, the heroin is in powdered form.

And thank you very much for your response!

Dear customer,

Since the shelf life is 3 years for morphine sulphate when stored at or below 25 degree celsius and for heroine it is 5 years when stored in dark at room temperature so it is advisable NOT to use it after that since the drugs decomposes with time`and is not suitable for use to get the desired effects.The percentage wise is more than 90% of the drug decomposes beyond the period.

Thank you