Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

what are the common symptoms of fish allergies? is difficutly

what are the common symptoms of fish allergies? is difficutly breathing a common symptom of fish allergy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
Allergy to fish occurs in 1 in 200 people ,whereas allergy to shell fish occurs more commonly.The fish allergy follows other food allergy with symptoms of nausea,vomiting,diarrhea, abdominal cramps,hives,wheezing and occasionally breathing difficulties.Breathing difficulties do not always occur with fish allergy. Anaphylactic reactions are known to occur which may rarely be life threatening,these may cause severe swelling of the face,throat and mouth and dyspnoea causing difficulty in breathing.The allergy starts as a tingling around the mouth,there may be altered taste sensation followed by nausea and diarrhea.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 3 weeks ago my mom cooked fish for lunch and soon as i walked into the kitchen i felt the smell of the fish and told her that i smelt fish and she said that she cooked it for lunch and was surprized that i felt the smell cause she couldn't feel anything. i couldn't breath so i had to leave the kitchen. it was a type of white fish. not sure which kind. it was a salted white fish. persians salt the fish sometimes in iran.

The cooking of some fishes releases amines as vapours which may cause bronchospasm and difficulty in breathing.This can even cause problems in people who are sensitive when inhaled in very small amounts.This occurs more in people who are prone for such problems during allergies or have a family history of asthma or eczema.Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons(PAH) and HeteroCyclic Amines(HCA) or biogenic amines are released when sea food or fish are grilled or steamed,these have reported to cause the allergy even when inhaled.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my mom has eczema and i have psoriasis

A family history of eczema would be suggestive of a increased chance for allergies.A number of triggers including food allergies,stress,autoimmune diseases and dietary deficiencies would be the underlying causes of Psoriasis .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'm going to see an allergist for allergy testing on jan 4th. i've been told that i shouldn't take an antihistamine for 7 days prior the test. someone also told me that i shouldn't keep antihistamine at home for 7 days till i do the test, is this true? thanks

You may keep the antihistamiic drugs at home but it would be best to avoid their use for about 5-7 days prior to allergy testing.Some antidepressants also act as antihistaminics,it would be best to check with your PCP if you are on any such drug.You need not stop your blood pressure medication,your asthma medication or your heart medicines for this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about alcohol? should i not drink alcohol for 5-7days prior to the allergy test? does alcohol act like antihistamine?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Alcohol consumption can increase the severity of allergic reactions,hence heavy alcohol consumption should be avoided prior to allergy testing.
Please rate the answer positively before proceeding further.Thanks.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice