Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Hello, I am a 42 year old female. Last night I was out finishing

Hello, I am a 42 year old female. Last night I was out finishing my holiday shopping. I was in a brightly lit store. All of a sudden I started seeing patterned, moving colored lights in my left eye. So much so that I couldn't see anything else. My right eye was doing the same thing, only not as severe. I hadn't been looking at any colored lights, and it came in very suddenly. I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder, so I'm always prepared for random attacks, but this had me very rattled because it came on so quickly and out of the blue.
My husband got me outside and I took 1mg of Xanax and sat in the car for awhile, breathing in fresh air. I could not see anything but those moving colored lights. After about 15 minutes they started to subside. After 20 minutes things seemed to be under control. I cautiously returned to the store, but wore my sunglasses inside. The lights haven't returned, but I'm still pretty shaken up from the ordeal.
Was this just a panic attack? There were no other symptoms other than my usual hyperventilating and feeling of fainting that always accompanies my panic attacks.

Do you associated nausea,blurred vision,vomiting?

Headache?

Sound and light sensitivity?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. None of those things. No history of any migraines. Just panic attacks.

Thanks for providing more information.

As per your description,you need to consult an Eye specialist for eye examination to rule out potential differential diagnosis like vitreous floaters (floating spots are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye),ocular migraine.
Your ophthalmologist should look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If everything 'll be fine with your eyes then panic attack can be most possible cause of such weird symptoms.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can an occular migraine occur without pain/headache? Have you ever heard of such symptoms where an anxiety attack is involved. This clearly triggered one doozy of an attack when it happened. I find it odd/coincidence that the symptoms subsided once the Xanax began to work its magic. Thoughts?

Thanks for the follow-up.

It may be possible to have ocular migraine can occur without headache and pain.

Even such sudden weird symptoms can be associated with panic attack as well.

However i recommend to consult an eye specialist as a precautionary measure to rule out eye pathology at first place.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.