Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I have a calcified splenic artery aneurysm..How dangerous

I have a calcified splenic artery aneurysm..How dangerous is it?What should be done about it?
Welcome and thanks for your question , with splenic aneurysm the risk of rupture is about 3-10 % specially in patients with liver disease ,liver transplantation or pregnant women .

These aneurysms could be completely asymptomatic or produce variable symptoms like abdominal pain , upper back pain, nausea or vomiting.

They could be dangerous ,if they are extremely enlarged ( specially 1.5 cm or larger ) with a greater tendency to bleed and produce hypovolemic shock ( with a great loss of blood ) .

However , if they are small under 1.5 cm ,the risk of rupture is minimal and surgery will not be necessary .

What I would suggest you would be consulting a vascular surgeon who could evaluate you and determine if you will need surgery or not.

Doctors could perform open or laparoscopic surgery to repair the aneurysm through embolization or stent graft implant .

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.