Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

The inside of my right ankle keeps swelling, the outside of

The inside of my right ankle keeps swelling, the outside of the ankle does not swell. I don't have any leg pain, ankle or foot pain, but my two smallest toes tingle, slightly numb. The swelling goes down at night whether my foot is elevated or not. I sit behind a computer much of the day, but I do walk around the office, but it still swells. Interestingly, if I'm sitting at home or doing things around the house it does not swell, but if I put shoes on and go out for an hour or more, it swells. Heels definitely make the swelling worse. I'm 49, for what that is worth.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question , by what you described the right ankle swelling you have been experiencing is probably being caused by a vascular or blood vessel disorder ,it could be venous insufficiency in your right leg .

When the leg veins valves are weakened , blood could build up producing swelling . At night time , when you lie down that position increases the blood return from your veins back into your heart alleviating the swelling .

When an area becomes swollen ,it could produce nerve root compression and numbness.

On the other side , it is really important for you to consult a doctor to determine if besides venous insufficiency ,there could be other medical condition involved including : previous trauma , heart disease , kidney disease ( specially if you have not been urinating properly ), varicose veins , medication side effects ( including blood pressure medications, hormone therapy, antidepressants or medications to control your glucose blood levels could produce leg swelling ), osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis ( in which there is joint inflammation however these conditions usually produce pain not only swelling ) or blood vessel inflammation.

In the meantime , you could get some compression stockings over the counter and reduce the consumption of salt in your diet ,salty or high seasoned foods . Massage the area ,apply cool pads and elevate your legs .

Your doctor will need to perform some image tests like a doppler ultrasound, kidney function tests , a chest X-rays , an echocardiogram , GFR, a lower leg X-rays , blood tests and CBC to determine what specific condition is producing these symptoms You have been experiencing so you can be treated properly .

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's been like this for 3 weeks, but again, it doesn't swell if I'm not wearing shoes, or wearing flip flops, which I find strange. Also, how immediately do I need to see a doctor? Is there immediate danger?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
You do not need to see a doctor immediately . However , if the swelling persists you need to see a doctor to see what is happening . There is not immediate danger , if you experience other symptoms like pain ,fever , dizziness or shortness of breath ,in that case , You would need to go to the emergency but with your actual there is not need to go to the emergency .

In your case , this does not look severe ,specially if the swelling occurs exclusively when you are wearing shoes , specially high heels or tight shoes which could affect the blood flow and compress the area producing swelling .

It is important to perform a leg X-rays to see if you could have experienced some minor trauma in that area ( ligaments, muscles or bones ) which could be triggering the swelling.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD