Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Since being pregnant with my son, I have gotten (what I believe

Since being pregnant with my son, I have gotten (what I believe to be) thrush around 5 or 6 times...my son is nearly 2. I have at times had a discharge that was almost green in colour. I have had the 'cottage cheese' discharge. Sometimes itchy, sometimes a dry or burning feeling. I have taken the over the counter tablet 3 times and was prescribed it once by the doctor. I have never been advised to use the pessaries, only the external cream. I recently had swab tests for a few std's...all coming back negative. I of course had my STD blood test while pregnant too.

My husband has just had a blood, urine and swab std test which has also come back clear. He is also having symptoms of what we thought was thrush to start with. He has never had discharge but, he gets red dots on the head of his penis. When he cleans it, the spots become redder, when it dries, they are paler. He, at times has itching and/or external burning feeling. Neither of us have had any burning pain from urinating. After sex is when these appear and can last as long as 2 weeks at times. It usually takes a day before they show up. They are never blistery or scabby. His foreskin also dries out and makes it difficult to pull it back when he uses canestin or steroid cream. He has also been prescribed the thrush tablet and we have taken it at the same time. We have abstained from sex until there are no more symptoms but, it always returns when we have intercourse. He doesn't get any symptoms when we use condoms. I tend to get a little dry and itchy after using condoms.

We have been together for 17 years and this has only started since being pregnant with my son (second pregnancy). There are no sexual health specialists in my area. I am going to see a gynecologist but would like to be armed with ideas as we tend to be shrugged off. This is really impacting our sex life. Please help. Thank you

Is discharge foul smelly?

Have you taking any medicines for other illness?

Antibiotics use?

Are your periods regular?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The discharge does not appear to have any abnormal odour.

I don't take any other medication. Just the pill, paracetamol or ibuprofen for pain occasionally.

I had antibiotics for tonsillitis around 3 months ago and did have thrush after that.

My periods have never been regular but, I am on the Juliet pill and that regulates them. No abnormalities there.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you have history of antibiotics use so it can be culprit of your yeast infection.

As antibiotics disturb normal flora of body while killing infected bacteria resulting in growth of yeast infection.

However as you are suffering from last few months and now partner has some infection.

So firstly your both partners should be treated at same time.

It may be possible that you might have a resistant yeast infection and I would recommend getting tested for Candida glabrata and yeast culture and if you have this then treatment for this would be with Diflucan every other day for 2 weeks, then continue with one pill per day of Diflucan for 4 to 6 months.
And, in addition I would use a Probiotic such as RepHresh PRO B and insert a pill in the vagina daily.

Completely avoid sugar. This also includes white bread, white pasta, cookies, crackers, candy, etc.
Even use of oral probiotics throughout the treatment duration should be considered.

Iodine used topically as a douche is effective against a wide range of organisms including Candida (yeast). Povidone-iodine (Betadine) has all of the advantages of iodine without the stinging and staining.

A douching solution is diluted to one part iodine in 100 parts water ( 1-3 teaspoons Betadine to 1 quart of water) used twice daily for 14 days.

Otherwise it's good to see your gynecologist for proper evaluation,diagnosis and management.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would this still be possible as it has been going on for around 2 years? The antibiotics are only the last 3 months.

Pregnancy and child birth can also be predisposing factors in yeast infection due to hormonal changes.

So further investigations like culture and wet mount and KOH test should be advised.

And you may require a long term treatment to eradicate infection completely.

And see your gynecologist for proper evaluation,diagnosis and management.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.