Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

I HAVE BEEN BEEN ON CIPRO FOR LEFT MAXILLARY BACTERIAL SINUSITIS

I HAVE BEEN BEEN ON CIPRO FOR LEFT MAXILLARY BACTERIAL SINUSITIS FOR 14 DAYS.
MY CULTURE CAME BACK "LIGHT PSEUDOMONAS AND LIGHT SERRATIA". BEFORE MY CULTURE, I WAS ON AUGMENTIN THEN ZPACK WHICH DID NOTHING.
I THOUGHT I WAS SLOWLY IMPROVING ON THE CIPRO (LESS YELLOW NASAL DRAINAGE), UNTIL YESTERDAY, I HAD QUITE A BIT MORE DRAINAGE.
I AM SO AFRAID THE CIPRO QUIT WORKING.
I CALLED MY ENT YESTERDAY, AND HE SEEMED UPSET THAT I QUESTIONED IT, AND SAID THAT PSEUDOMONAS NEEDS TO BE TREATED FOR AT LEAST A MONTH-KEEP TAKING THE CIPRO.
MY CT SCAN SHOWED NO POLYPS, JUST SOME MILD MUCOSAL THICKENING.
I'M SO WORRIED THAT HE IS WRONG AND THE CIPRO ISN'T WORKING.
CIPRO HAD THE BEST MIC ON MY CULTURE/SENSITIVITY.
HELP!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Ciprofloxacin is a common medication used for Pseudomonas Aeruginosa.

It is effective against Pseudomonas.
You can take Ciprofloxacin for 1 more week to see the good results.

If your symptoms'll persist then you need to be seen by your ENT doctor again and ask for nebulized medications which are being used for this infection and it is an innovative way to get cured from chronic sinusitis caused by Pseudomonas Aeruginosa.

As you have more nasal discharge so you can take OTC Claritin as well.
And use a humidifier in your room.
In chronic condition, there has to be surgical procedures followed to get rid of infection and get permanent cure for sinusitis problem.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I SEEM TO THINK THAT MORE YELLOW YUCKY DRAINAGE MEANS THE CIPRO IS BECOMING LESS EFFECTIVE??

I'M VERY SCARED.

I'M AN RN AND AM READING WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT PSEUDOMONAS-IT'S SCARING ME TO DEATH!

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest steam inhalation for symptomatic relief for the time being and continue with your treatment as advised.

The treatment of sinusitis has a good prognosis in most of the cases so you should not worry much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

DOES INCREASE YELLOW SMELLY NASAL SECRETIONS MEAN THE CIPRO'S NOT WORKING? OR COULD IT BE THE STUFF WAS IN MY SINUSES FOR A WHILE AND JUST CAME OUT?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF BEING ON AN ANTIBIOTIC FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO A SINUS INFECTION?

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Probably the nasal secretion contains dead wbc along with the debris and suggest that there is a fight between body immune system and the bacteria.

Drainage from swollen or infected sinuses may be thick or discolored and don't suggest that cipro is not working.

And Pseudomonas Aeruginosa causing sinusitis is usually difficult to treat and require a long term antibiotic course.

If you have any gastrointestinal upset then you should start probiotics and metamucil.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM