Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I think I might have genital herpes.

I think I might have genital herpes.
Welcome and thanks for your question , in most cases , genital herpes produce some characteristic symptoms like itching , pain and the development of tiny blisters or small sores in the area .

These lesions heal on their own and they could reappear several times per year .

If you have developed these symptoms , You should contact your doctor to have an HSV antibody blood test to determine if you really have herpes.

Although you can not eradicate the virus completely , You could take antiviral medications like Acyclovir, Valacyclovir or Famciclovir to decrease the viral load , alleviate your symptoms, you will recover faster and it will reduce the number of outbreak episodes in the future .

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Symptoms started in March after a sexual encounter (condom broke and I was unprotected for a couple minutes before I noticed). Rash developed on scrotum/inner thighs, started having urological problems, and also about 150 white spots appeared in the area.

Spots are small, white/flesh/yellow colored, do not hurt to the touch, do not "pop", do not leak fluid and are not ulcers or lesions as far as I can tell. However the spots showed up a couple of days after the rash and urological issues did, which concerns me. None of the spots have disappeared since then, and if anything more spots have continued to show up on the underside of my penis. Before, they were just at the very base of penis (and over most of scrotum), but newer spots are working their way up the shaft.

I attached pictures of the spots (one pic shows them on underside of penis and the other shows them on scrotum).

Please be aware: out of concern it was herpes, I got the HSV antibody blood test performed on my own (igG specific aB for BOTH types), and it came back negative for Type 1 and negative for Type 2. Test was administered about 3 weeks ago, or approx 7 months after this all started, but these symptoms still concern me. What are the odds the test would come back negative 7 months post "possible exposure" but I actually have the virus?

The odds that a test comes negative 7 months after a genital herpes infection is 0 , so I do not think this is herpes in your case .

If the lesions are small ,white ,yellow or fleshy , it could be an Human Papillomavirus infection.

These lesions do not hurt There are not specific test to detect the HPV ( Human Papillomavirus ) , doctors basically perform a physical examination with vinegar solution to visualize them .

Your doctor could remove some lesions if it is really necessary using medications like salicylic acid ,laser or freezing them with nitrogen liquid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Can a doctor scrape skin from one of the spots to do a culture and/or cut one off and do a biopsy to help determine the cause?

Doctors usually do not perform a culture to diagnose HPV specially in men , a vinegar skin solution test is usually enough .

However , your doctor could also take a sample and perform a biopsy to visualize the area directly and rule out any type of cellular transformation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your time and help. Take care.

You're welcome .

It was a pleasure to assist you .