Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

i have a headache

i have a headache
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that your head is hurting. Do you have headaches often? Any of symptoms (nausea, sensitivity to light, fever, etc?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, that wasn't my question...my browser acted up and I just typed something in there to test it! Here is my post:

I have to go see a hematologist and am worried due to low platelets. Had CBC done due to acid reflux, also an ESR and liver test. All 'normal', except platelets at count of 126 (on 11/12). Was retested last week, platelets down to 76 or so.

Was on Prilosec during first test, and off it for 2-3 weeks during second test. Have read these can cause low platelets, but wouldn't they have shot back up since I stopped? Or is there a lingering effect? Also, I took a Fiorinal (aspirin/butalibital) pill the day before, not sure if that is relevant.

Other than than, I have just been super stressed the last few months, and this isn't helping the cause! I am worried sick after reading some of the causes of this (leukemia,etc).

Have to wait till Friday for Hematologist, and wanted to get some advice beforehand.

Well, there can be several causes for the low platelets. Just so I am clear, you had a CBC done at your Dr's office due to acid reflux and also a ESR & liver testing. Do you know why they did a CBC for your acid reflux as this is not standard procedure. Do you have a history of bleeding in your GI tract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They just did it to check for inflammation or infection as a first screen. They said everyting was fine, but the low platelets popped up in the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Would just rather have a Doctor as opposed to RN answer this particular question.
I see. Ok, thanks for the extra info.

Prilosec can cause Thrombocytopenia (low platelets). A single platelet can only live for 10 days and then your body makes new ones....but if you are taking a medication that is reducing them, then yes, having the platelets rechecked while being off of it may not have been enough time for the level to rise and yes, could have actually dropped before coming back up. This scenario is not out of the question, but seeing the hematologist is a good idea - just to put your mind at ease if nothing else. Also, if you are this sensitive to medications that will drop your platelet levels, you will need to know this for future reference as well...and the hematologist will probably give you a list of other drugs to avoid that may negatively affect your platelets as well.

Other than the Prilosec being the culprit, GI bleeding from the reflux, other conditions like ITP (condition where you body thinks the platelets are foreign invaders and it attacks itself) or yes, even leukemia could be the cause but the ITP and leukemia are far less likely causes. The key is just to have more testing done to get to the bottom of what is going on and try to do it without panic (easier said than done sometimes). Also note that leukemia itself has symptoms....fatigue, headaches, bone or joint pain, bruising or bleeding easily, swollen lymph nodes, losing weight - loss of appetite, fever and night sweats and getting lots of infections. So, if you are pretty much symptom-free, it is less likely that you have leukemia.

Reply back if I can help you further. I'll be happy to.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.