Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What can I do to rehydrate myself, water is not working and

Customer Question

What can I do to rehydrate myself, water is not working and my doctor is not taking me seriously. I need a quick fix as my muscles are atrophying (sic?). What about a vapour machine?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

If you are dehydrated then there would be a reason for this condition>>>> do you have abnormal frequent urination? / lack of fluid intake? / diarrhea? / vomiting? >> these would be the typical causes of dehydration....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you are dehydrated then you may have clinical signs which may include > increased thirst > dry mouth > decreased or infrequent urination > weight loss over a short time span > light headed or feeling faint > low blood pressure > increased heart rate or pulse > dry mouth > loose skin - the skin on the forearm if pinched lightly may not "bounce back" as it normally would.....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you perceive that you have had muscle atrophy then this may be for some other reason...

Anthony Bray MD :

Over what period of time have you noticed this??

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you seek a second opinion as you perceive that you doctor is not taking you seriously....

Anthony Bray MD :

A doctor would be able to tell from blood tests and clinical signs if you were indeed dehydrated...

Anthony Bray MD :

If the main symptom is muscle atrophy then I would more suspect some other cause such as a possible neuromuscular disease as a possibility. You may need to have this more specifically evaluated. Do you feel that you are weaker than normal? This would tend to go along with muscle wasting processes....

Anthony Bray MD :

As for rehydration >> if you truly need this > then an electrolyte solution may be of more benefit such as Gatorade for example / soups / replenishing both fluids and salts may be needed IF you should truly need rehydration....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpfula dn to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you adn Best Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD