Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I went for a breathing test yesterday because Ive been experiencing

Customer Question

I went for a breathing test yesterday because I've been experiencing some coughing episodes at night. The doctor did the spirometry tests and decided to give me a breathing treatment to see if it helped bring my values up... it did ever so slightly... not much at all.. My question is why did the spirometry not help? Does it mean I never had asthma to begin with or that I might have some different like COPD? (I'm not a smoker).. they are going to send the results of the test to my doctor, but it's going to take 2 weeks. I was wondering if I could get answers before that. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , the spirometry does not help or treat asthma or COPD .

The spirometry basically measures how much air you inhale ( breathe in ) and exhale ( breathe out ) and this basically indicates if your lungs are working properly or not .

In most cases, you could have inflamed and narrowed airways in which case you can not inhale ( breathe in air properly ) , while in others ( the air gets trapped inside and can not get out ) .

The breathing treatment is given ( with different types of medications from bronchodilators ,nebulizers,corticosteroids or inhalers ) , to decrease the airway tract inflammation and dilate your airways so You can breathe better . As consequence , the spirometry values usually improve or get better with the treatment .

If the values do not improve with the treatment ,it does not necessarily mean you do not have asthma , COPD or other type of lung disease to begin with .

In most cases , it means the patient could need more medication or a different type of medication next time to improve their lung function so the spirometry values get better .

But like I explained before the spirometry is not a treatment method ,it is basically a method of diagnosis which tells doctors you are not breathing properly nothing else .

For an accurate diagnosis of asthma ,you will need additional tests including image tests ( Chest X-rays and CT Scan ), sputum eosinophils ,a physical examination and a complete medical history .

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for answering my question. I appreciate your help. Hopefully it's just asthma (or less) that can be controlled with diet and exercise.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome ,it is was a pleasure to help you . In most cases , if you do not smoke , do not have family history of lung disease and your symptoms are relatively mild like minor cough or wheezing , this is probably asthma and there is no need to be over worried or concerned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. German.. I had a really bad coughing attack last night.. But I was pretty much half asleep. But my lungs are sore today. I'm still waiting on my doctor's results. You said something I'm very curious about. You said "if there is no history of lung disease in your family".. There actually is. Well, I have an aunt and an uncle who both died from COPD.. but it was due to being heavy, heavy smokers.. I'm not for sure that is the same thing. Can you tell me if that means I have a history of lung disease? I guess my uncle who died of it worked in a paint factory his whole life which more than likely contributed to it.

I'm still waiting for my doctor's results and praying at the worst it would be asthma..

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
I was talking more about hereditary lung diseases where there is a genetic intrinsic factor involved like cystic fibrosis .

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease is more an environmental disease related to heavy smoking , so you do not have to worry . Your aunt and uncle disease is product of a external factor not an internal one.