Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have been having severe stomach pains for almost a month.

I have been having severe stomach pains for almost a month. Somedays I am constipated and have to strain to have a bowel movement and it hurts terribly and then there is blood on the tissue paper. Other days I have severe diarrea and after having a bowel movement I am in such pain that it takes me hours to be able to actually feel good. I am not taking any different meds. and I have starting eating very mild things like turkey on toast, baked potato or just some sherbert. My stomach is severly bloated to the point that I look pregnant. I have a hard time sleeping and the next day have no energy at all. This is not me! I am usually a very high energy person. But this has me feeling very down. I don't feel like eating in fear of the pains but I know I have to eat. I have to sleep on a heating pad because of the pains. I don't know what to do! I have no health insurance and I know that I am way over do for an upper and lower GI as I am prone to peptic ulcers but I never remember feeling this bad. What do you think.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can help you.

Have you noticed any lump near rectum?
Have you tried any medications?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
Do you have severe abdomen cramps?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked and I do have a small lump near my rectum. Tried over the counter things like Tagament and Pepcid but they never helped. I do get heartburn sometime too. Yes I do suffer from anxiety and severe stress. I also suffer from panic attacks that get so bad I have a hard time catching my breath and I have been very short windend lately maybe that's from my panic attacks. My Doctor was prescribing me xanax for the panic attacks but I moved to Asheville, NC. and when I did find a Family Practice Doctor he would not prescribe them for me so I have to suffer through them and sometimes it's very difficult. I do have sever stomach pains wich started over a month ago and have them every single day. I sometimes don't want to even get out of bed because I feel so bad! I am normally a very high energy person who is always happy but this has me very down! The only meds I take on a daily basis are adderall, paxil, trazadone and my hormone patch.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for quick input, I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, having small lump near rectum can occur with
External Hemorrhoids. You can use Preparation H Cream, it is available as OTC, It works as topical anesthetic, vasoconstrictor, and skin protectant. It also temporarily shrinks hemorrhoidal tissue.
Also you can use Hydrocortisone steroid cream on affected area.

You should have sitz bath , it means you need to soak your anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes 2-3 times a day. You should apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus to relieve swelling.After wiping, dab a small amount of Petroleum Jelly or Zinc Oxide on a cotton ball and apply to the swollen area.

Having changes in bowel movements- constipation and diarrhea along with severe abdomen cramps, is most likely due to a medical condition Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).

You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.

Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should Avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.

The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective in relieving the abdominal pain or stomach ache.

You should use Antispasmodic medicines- such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac), alverine citrate and peppermint oil capsules, which help in relieving stomach cramps.
Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.

Talking treatments such as cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy or psychotherapy can help relieve the symptoms.

Proper dietary control should be done.Best bet is to get your diet schedule managed from dietitian.

You should follow the measures as advised above and please make an appointment with Gastroenterologist for clinical evaluation and get it managed.

If you have any further query then please feel free to ask.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why does my stomach look and feel so bloated? This has been going on for a month or more and it's very uncomfortable. Would eating yougurt help? You see I was living in a motel for almost a year and your right my diet was terrible as I only had a mircowave and it was very depressing. I finally moved into an apartment and it's as if I don;t know how to live a normal life anymore, sounds crazy but it's true! I also got a great job in October 2012 at The Biltmore Estate and when I was finally trained I feel down the stairs and sprained my ankle. I was sent to the urget care and I had to take ibuporofen, naproxen sodium and norco. I was wondering if thse meds could have played a part in my stomach problems? I have also been very worried about my job as I haven't been put back on the schedule. I just made an appoinment to see my therapist to take care of my mental health concerns but still very concerend about my stomach issues. I am sleeping way too much and have no energy. I woke up today feeling dizzy and now have terrible pains again in my stomach, a burning and achy feeling and have diarrea. Yesterday I was constipated. What do you think I should do next? Should I make an appoinment to see a gastroenterologist? I appreciate all of your help in this manner, it's tough not knowing what's going on and even tougher when your alone. I just moved into my new apartment and I should be happy but I can't seem to get it in order as I feel so bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still awaiting an answer from my reply to the Doctors answer. Please ask him to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in answering.

Yes, it is true that eating Yogurt, will be very beneficial for your health. It contains Probiotics and eating them regularly can help with digestion and offer a level of protection against detrimental bacteria.

Long term use of painkillers like ibuprofen, naproxen can lead to stomach problems. It can increase risk for developing intestinal disorders.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. You need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

To treat constipation,following is recommended for you:

-Take bulk-forming laxatives like Metamucil.

-If this doesn't help then take stimulant suppositories containing bisacodyl can be used.

-Glycerol suppositories act as a 'stimulant' within the rectum, encouraging the passing of stools

-Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.You need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

Please consult Gastroenterologist for clinical evaluation and get appropriate management.

Thanks for quick input.

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. Josh,

I went to the Doctor today he wasn't my choice but my mom and sister go to him. Anyway he just said the I have irritable bowel syndrome. And that I should have a colonoscopy and is going to referer me so I can have one butr he never gave me a thing to take! Last time I was diagnosed with this the Dr. in New Orleans gave me a medication to relax my stomach but I can't remember what it was; seeing that allot of my problems stem from my nerves I asked for xanax which I was prescribed for my panic attacks when I lived in Burlington, NC. But he refused to give them to me; he didn;t even take a blood test and also old me that I was probably lactose intollerent. How could he know that!

I have never had that problem but maybe he thinks that milk products are cauing this condition. I also told him about all the meds I was on for my sprained ankle, the ultrum, the neoprxen sodium and the ibuprophen. I asked if those could have contributed to my pains but he said no! Now I don't believe that. Every website I checked said that they can be harmeful to your stomach. What do you think about this doctor. Do you think is he right or what. I value your opinion Dr. Josh so please tell me what you think. And I will be done. And I plan on giving you a very high score.! Thanks,

Melinda G. Burke

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
There is a condition called Lactose intolerance,It occurs when the small intestine does not make enough of an enzyme lactase.
Yes, all of your symptoms are similar to that of Lactose Intolerance.
Usually this condition, is diagnosed on the basis of symptoms.
To confirm, this you should get- a hydrogen breath test or a blood sugar test.

As such there is no cure for lactose intolerance. But one can treat these symptoms by limiting or avoiding milk products.
Yes, you need to get colonoscopy done.
However i would suggest, that you should get clinically evaluated by other doctor.

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for Everything!!! Dr. Josh

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Most welcome and Thanks for using justanswer service.
I wish for your good health.