Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I have a lump on the side of my neck that has getting bigger

I have a lump on the side of my neck that has getting bigger over two weeks it don't hurt only when I push on it then it hurts my shoulder I have a heat sensation going on that has started in the last few daysddays I have headaches going on a lot and lost feeling in the top of my mouth .I recently hurt my neckthen a week later is when I noticed a bump on the side of my neck and when you look at me you can clearly see I have something sticking out on the side of my neck please help me on what you think it is thank you amber
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Hello, Thank you for your question,

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Is it hard ? soft ? or firm ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Does it hurts when you press it ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Does the skin over the top of it seems red ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Does it feels hot when you touch it ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Is there some discharge from this lump ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Are you able to see my questions ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

use reply to send your reply....

Customer: I see ur reply
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Ok, we can proceed if you can answer the above questions, thank you.

Customer: No discharge
Customer: there is no disharge just a solid bump
Dr.S.A.Alam :

And does it feels warm ?

Customer: Yes
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Are you able to pinch the skin above this swelling ?

Customer: Barelynot really
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Does the skin above this swelling seems more reddish ?

Customer: Yes
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... What is the exact size of this swelling ? Has it increased since you noticed it ?

Customer: The size of it is about the size of olive and when I noticed it was just a little bump and then the side affects have started happening in the past 3 days
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Q... Do you have fever ? are there other swellings like this ?

Customer: I can't see that messsge now
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Do you have fever ?

Customer: Hello
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Try to refresh/reload the page.... It might help to see my questions...

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Do you have fever ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Are you able to see my chat now ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Thank you for your reply, i will try to help you understand what might be the reason for this swelling and what needs to be done here.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Try to refresh the page or reload the page.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

As per the information the redness of skin, warmth, unable to pinch and increase in size means that this is infection of skin. This needs topical and oral antibiotics for treatment.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You need to see your doctor ASAP, You can apply over counter antibiotic creams till you are able to see a doctor.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Treatment should not be delayed as there are signs of inflammation like redness, increase in swelling.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

I hope you are able to see my answer.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Let me know if you have queries...

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Rate the answer as positive if i have answered your question.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You are welcome to ask more questions, simply use reply to ask more questions.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

hope to see you in best of health soon.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Amber are you online ? I hope you are able to access the answer.

Customer: So what would it be called that I have you think I have lymphoma. And why do I have feeling in the top of my mouth and no fever
Dr.S.A.Alam :

It is possibly a cellulitis,

Dr.S.A.Alam :

The feeling in the shoulder and mouth is due to the reason for same nerve supply.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

These areas do have common nerve supplies which possibly explains the other symptoms.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

As this swelling will increase more symptoms in these areas can occur due to pinching of nerve.

Customer: And what's cellitus
Dr.S.A.Alam :

It is infection of skin and tissues around it.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

It is dealt with antibiotics.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

topical and oral, in severe cases IV.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

At this stage it seems like a mild case which means it is best time to stop the progress.

Customer: What if it doesn't go away with antibiotics
Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

It will go away as the success rate of treatment is very high.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

This is not lymphoma as you are fearing, The lymphoma has very different features which are absent in your case.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

So it is cellulitis.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

And best option is to treat it ASAP with antibiotics.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ? let me know...

Customer: are they gonna have to do surgery
Dr.S.A.Alam :

No, it is not that large and antibiotics will help.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

surgery is only done when antibiotics are not helpful or size is very large.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have questions ?

Dr.S.A.Alam :

I hope chat has helped ?

Customer: No I am ok with ur answer as it stands now thank you what could happen if I don't have means to get it treated
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Well, it can spread

Dr.S.A.Alam :

and you may need more longer treatment and possibly surgery if not treated in time.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

You have more questions ? let me know...

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Do rate the answer as excellent or good if i have answered your questions. Thank you. You are welcome to come back on this chat anytime for more questions.

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr.S.A.Alam :

Hope to see you in best of health soon. Have a nice day.

Dr.S.A.Alam :

Do rate the answer as excellent to complete the answer process, have a nice day and take care.

Customer: You too sir have a good day
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
Thank you for your visit,

Have a nice day,

Hope to see you soon in best of health.