Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hello Doctors, I have a kind of an issue that you may help

Hello Doctors,

I have a kind of an issue that you may help me with. First, I have been sober for 7 years and alcohol was my thing. I never did cocaine, heroine and never got into pot, maybe smoke 5 or 6 times all while I had been drinking. Never ever thought about it, like I did with alcohol. I also have mild depression insomnia and anxiety issues. I take Wellbutrin XL 300 ml every morning, and at night I take 50 mg of trazadone and 25 mg of seroquel. I sleep great but my wife and I have a fear that if there was ever an issue or emergency I don't get up for anything. And I also wonder what the long term effect the medication may have on my health. I was wondering if Pot may be a better alternative as in a medical treatment for insomnia and anxiety in the evenings. I have a small child and when I don't wake to her at night I get a bit concerned. I do need help sleeping and turning off my head and alcohol will never be an issue for me again. So what is your thoughts.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Customer: Hello
Dr Vikas :

Unfortunately Pot (Cannabis) can not be a suitable alternative in your case because it can itself worsen anxiety and depressive symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

and as a result there may be worsening of insomnia

Dr Vikas :

You are taking two medicines at night and both of them are very sedative so one option could be to discontinue Seroquel in my view if your doctor agrees to it.

Customer: Can you explain... I guess that I am searching for a better alternative as you read. Do you have and opinion or idea that I should ask my doctor?
Dr Vikas :

what exactly is your diagnosis, is it simply mixed anxiety depression?

Customer: Mild to medium depression and I can't turn my thoughts or turn my head off
Dr Vikas :

Do you still feel depressed and anxious even after taking these three medicines?

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Dr Vikas :

In my view, in your case, Seroquel can be stopped while continuing Trazadone and this should help in reducing the sedation at night.

Customer: Depression not so much. I would say the anxiety ads to depression and any lack of sleep amplifies the symptoms
Dr Vikas :

Since you are still anxious and depressed, you can consider the option of trying Cognitive Behavior Therapy in addition to medicines

Dr Vikas :

which of course will have no side effect like medicines :)

Dr Vikas :

there are certain online websites where you can try free online Cognitive Behavior therapy without going to a therapist

Dr Vikas :

Have you ever tried CBT?

Customer: Is that therapy similiar to RET and should I take medication while doing CT?
Dr Vikas :

No it is not similar to RED

Dr Vikas :

RET

Dr Vikas :

sorry

Dr Vikas :

you can click the link above to find out more about CBT

Dr Vikas :

You can take medicines also at the same time

Customer: I did and the link is dead or moved
Dr Vikas :

a combined treatment is much more beneficial

Dr Vikas :

ok, please wait, I am again giving you the link

Dr Vikas :

CBT

Dr Vikas :

It should work now

Dr Vikas :

I am also giving you the links to free online CBT website

Customer: Dr Vikas. Is the cannabis therapy to much of a concern for relapse or just not helpful?
Dr Vikas :

MoodGym

Dr Vikas :

It is not helpful for treating anxiety and depression. In fact, I see many patients who suffer from anxiety and depression after taking Cannabis.

Customer: Thanks for your help
Dr Vikas :

and thus requiring antidepressant for that

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome. I guess, you are still not convince or I am wrong?

Dr Vikas :

convinced. :)

Customer: I am and I will look into CT thanks
Customer: And also chat with my doctor about losing the Seraquel
Dr Vikas :

you are most welcome again. One more link regarding free online CBT

Dr Vikas :

OK good.

Dr Vikas :

so may I disconnect the chat.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Vikas