Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

I would like to speak with a nutritionist.I would like

I would like to speak with a nutritionist.

I would like to ask how I can lose weight by eating wholesome foods (full fat and organic). I am 148 pounds and want to weigh 128 pounds. I was 145 pounds a week ago but I was not eating due to busy-ness at work. I want to find a steady wholesome regime which helps me lose. Thank you.

Dr. David :

Hello. I would like to help you with your question concerning weight loss and diet. There are several points to consider when planning a wholesome dietary regime. One of the most effective ways to lose weight is by decreasing and eliminating the intake of processed sugars and simple carbohydrates. This includes removing items such as all breads, pastas, baked goods, sweets, and fruits from the diet. Increasing the intake of organic and full fat meats and dairy products, poultry, wild caught fish, organic eggs, fresh organic vegetables, and healthy fats including butter, coconut oil, olive oil and coconut milk. Home-cooked meals are generally more healthful than anything available from an outside restaurant. There are a few books that offer excellent guidance. The first one is called "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Fallon and Enig. Here is a link: These same authors also have another excellent book called "Nourishing Traditions", which I highly recommend. Here is the link: The book "The Paleo Diet" by Dr. Cordain is also an excellent resource which has helped many people lose weight by eating a healthier diet. This particular book recommends eliminating dairy products as well as all grains from the diet, and this can be very helpful for some individuals. One more excellent resource that I recommend is the Weston A. Price society web site. Here are two web pages from their site that may be helpful for you: Please let me know if you would like more details about any of this. Dr. David

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi David, I do not intend to go Paleo and raw. I would like to keep flours such as spelt and rye as well as oats in my diet. I also enjoy fruits and think they are important.

I like the Diet Solution Program but I still have found myself consuming refined carbs. I find high levels of meat too challenging.

I see. Thank you for the additional information. Some people do better with a small amount of carbs in their diet in addition to meats and protein foods. A better strategy for you may be to increase healthy fats such as coconut oil while eating smaller portions of the foods that you are currently consuming. The benefit of eating coconut oil and other coconut products such as coconut milk is that they satisfy the appetite without putting on extra weight. In fact, these kinds of foods help people to lose weight. The book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" that I mentioned gives all of the details.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 4 bags of Bob Red Mill Coconut flour in the home so, not to worry, I know about coconuts:) I have from Amazon a 54 fl oz jar of EVCO as well. I just haven't found recipes which suit my palate as yet using coconut flour. Would you suggest any? I like to eat CO directly and also in some cooking. I'm trying to lower our Rapeseed oil consumption.

I'm glad to hear that you are on the "coconut wagon". Also I think that it is an excellent idea to avoid Rapeseed oil.

The best recipe that I have tasted using coconut flour is for this chocolate coconut cake. Here is a recipe, but I would recommend not putting in any sugar since coconut flour is already quite sweet:

Also I think that coconut flour pancakes are quite nice. Here is a recipe:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For sugar, I use xylitol powder, palm sugar, Grade B maple syrup or raw honey. :)

I have been looking for a good coconut pancake recipe - the majority I know of use more eggs than flour!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can one minimize the grainy-ness when cooking with coconut flour?

Those all sound like excellent sugar substitutes. Personally, I recommend the xylitol powder because it does not have much of an effect on the blood sugar levels.

Coconut flour adds an unique texture to baked goods, as you have noted. Some recipes attempt to dilute out the grainy-ness by diluting the flour with other ingredients such as eggs. While other recipes attempt to emphasize the texture by increasing the amount of coconut flour relative to the other ingredients. Unfortunately, I know of no way to eliminate the grainy-ness completely.