Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Hello, At least once a day, Ive been having episodes of

At least once a day, I've been having episodes of redness in my fingers. It's been daily since I began tracking it in October.

It hasn't really bothered me, so I haven't gone to a doctor about it. However I'm really burning with curiosity about what's going on. Also, I'm slightly concerned that it might get worse.

Duration: it comes suddenly. I usually notice the feeling of blood throbbing through my fingers before I see it. It stays intense for around 20-30 minutes, then fades away slowly. The knuckles can stay a little red for a few hours afterwards (but there's no throbbing then).

Timing: usually between 10-11 pm; sometimes between 4-5pm; sometimes around 8pm; once, it was around 11am. (The 10-11pm episode is like clockwork. Why??? Am I allergic to dinner?)

Progression: Sometimes, my whole hand flares up. Other times, it starts just one or two fingers (usually thumb or pinky) and spreads to the other fingers.

Symmetry: it's always stronger in my right hand, but it's definitely present in the left. It also starts in the left hand a little while after the right hand. It acts a little differently in the left hand - it's producing a few small red dots around one knuckle which don't fade completely.

Itchiness: usually there's none, but sometimes it's very slightly itchy (not enough to make me itch it).

Pain: almost always painless. But once in a while there's a faint but sharp pain in one or more fingers. (It has only happened about 3 times, I think.)

Pattern: this is the weird part! There are several different patterns of redness/inflammation; I'm always wondering which one will turn up each night. Here are the common ones:
- All my fingers go red, from the tips to about 1 cm below the MCP knuckles.
- Only the MCP knuckles go red.
- The fingers go red, but NOT the MCP knuckles.
- A single finger goes completely red - usually the thumb, pinky, or both of them.
- The webbing between the thumb and index finger goes red, as well as most of the thumb.

These patterns can look pretty strange. The border between normal and red skin is always well defined; it sometimes looks a little like I've dipped my hand in paint. I have taken lots of photos, and can provide them if needed.

Thank you!!
You are probably suffering from an episodic vasospastic disorder of the arterial vessels of the hand.This is caused by a spasm of the blood vessels which may turn the fingers pale,blue or red depending on the severity of the spasm.The spasms are usually secondary to cold weather or stress(emotional or repeated physical trauma).There may be a association with connective tissue diseases like lupus,scleroderma ,thyroid disorders,due to certain drugs like betablockers,ergotamine,due to Atherosclerosis.This is commonly seen in the primary Raynaud's disease seen in women aged between 15-40 years of age.You need to see your PCP/GP who can examine and investigate you by Doppler,ANA tests and other investigations.Use of nifedipine and other vasodilator drugs may relieve your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!!! That makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that I have Raynaud's in my toes. In my hands it has been more confusing, because it doesn't happen immediately after any cold or stress - usually I'm just sitting in bed, reading. Does it ever produce a delayed reaction (say, 2-3 hours after getting cold)?

It may occur after stress in a delayed fashion.