Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I had "Jock Itch" type symptoms. Itching, hot sensations,

I had "Jock Itch" type symptoms. Itching, hot sensations, uncomfortable feeling. I used an OTC Spray, Lotrimin, for two weeks. It's seems to have done the job on my testicles. But now the tip of my penis is VERY sensitive. Are these things related? How can I reduce the sensitivity?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have itching on the tip of penis?
Is there any discharge from the penis?
Are you sexually active?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No itching on the tip, or shaft, that was localized only to the testicles.

No discharge. No painful urination. No "strange smells".

I am sexually active.

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Jock itch(also known as tinea cruris) is a common fungal infection that affects the skin of genitals & (the inner thighs or buttocks).

Treatment of fungal jock infection include anti fungal creams used continuously for two to four weeks.Wash the area with soap and water.Apply ointment containing clotrimazole+betamethasone.It is available at the counter(OTC) without the prescription.Apply the cream to the surrounding 4-6 cm of normal skin in addition to the tip of your penis.

Keep your genital area clean and dry.Avoid undergarments made from synthetic materials.Don't wear clothing that rubs and irritates the area.All this will help you greatly.

If still the symptoms persists,then you may need tests & examination & oral anti fungal medications like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox) will be prescribed accordingly.Also check your blood sugar levels.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's great. I believe the jock itch is gone. My focus now is the increased sensitivity on the tip of my penis.

It began in the last week, while I was treating the jock itch with OTC medications.

Is this a common side effect of the treatment? A symptom of the jock itch or something different?

What can I do about the increased sensitivity?

Dear XXXXX,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

The increased sensitivity on the tip of penis is because of symptom of fungal infection(jock itch) only.You need to take the above described medications.

This symptom will go away as the infection will get cured.If still the sensitivity or other symptoms persists then you may need following tests:

-Urine examination
-Swab test
-Other tests for STD

to know the exact underlying cause & medications like oral anti fungal & oral antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly.

For now I advice you to take the above described medications from your counter.It will help you greatly.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, I should seek fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox)?

Are these available over the counter?

Dear XXXXX,

No,both fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox) are prescription medication & can be prescribed by your doctor.Which medicine to be prescribed will be decided by your doctor considering various factor.

You can apply ointment containing clotrimazole+betamethasone.It is available at the counter(OTC) without the prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist