Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I am 5 1/2 months pregnant for the first time. I have been

I am 5 1/2 months pregnant for the first time. I have been feeling an intense pain since I was 12 wks under my right rib that extends to my back. It feels like an intense pressure under my ribs. It gets aggravated by eating or by sitting. I have now also a different pain in my abdomen right in between my ribs that extends right to the middle of my back. The area of pain is right under the bra line in the front abdomen and it feels sort of numb, but at the same time sensitive and it hurts to touch. if I lay flat on my back for over 4 minutes the area hurts more. I had an ultrasound of the ruq done and also a comprehensive metabolic panel done, besides a little bit of anemia and higher wbc count everything else appeared to be normal. The gallbladder, liver, and pancreas looked normal. I am at a loss because I still have this pain and now i'm worried about the 'new' middle abdominal pain.
I went today for an mri w/o contrast, to see if we can figure this out. I asked the technicnian if this were to be aorta related, would the mri would pick it up, and she said that it was not a cardiovascular mri and that without contrast it would not be possible to detect anything. By the way my father had heart problems since an early age, so besides the location of the pain, this is why I'm also worried about it being aorta related. After the clear ultrasound and clean blood test results I was told by my ob doctor to go to a physical therapist for massages. No other advise was given besides the mri.
What other testing do you recommend having that would not hurt the baby and what other suggestions do you have for me to share with my doctors? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Associated heartburn,nausea,vomiting?

Shortness of breath?

Pain in chest during deep breathing,coughing?

Cough,fever?

Bloating and flatulence?

Constipation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have nausea on and off, shortness of breath but I attribute this to normal pregnancy symptoms..I have no chest pains only upper abdominal pain. I have bowel movements every other day, sometimes normal stool, sometimes hard. Negative to all others.

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

Congratulations for your pregnancy.

As your blood work and other investigations are fine.

Slightly anemia and high WBC count are normal with pregnancy.

So other potential differential diagnosis of such pain under the ribs may include Costochondritis(This condition occurs when ther is inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum (breastbone). This is very common in pregnancy as the enlarging uterus plus the movements of the baby causes irritation of the cartilage).

So massage can be helpful.

Gastritis.

So avoid carbonated drinks, caffeine,chocolate,acidic foods like citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, mustard, and vinegar,processed meat, mint products and spicy, highly seasoned, fried, or fatty foods.
Eat several small meals throughout the day.

Avoid drinking large quantities of fluids during meals

Don't eat close to bedtime.

Sleep propped up with several pillows or a wedge.

You can ask your doctor for Zantac if your symptoms'll be related to gastric issues.

Start metamucil.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor again.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your input, I will follow all your recommendations and will also bring up your ideas to my md. Do you think the numbness in the front is related to the Costochondritis? The paid is about an inch and a half below the bone. Also can you tell me why you don't think it could be related to my aorta.. just for my piece of mind. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Firstly i want to assure you that it is less likely to be related to aorta if you have no previous history of any heart problem.

You shouldn't worry about your family history as your symptoms are not related to heart problem.

However you need to undergo ultrasound for fetal wellbeing,blood pressure monitoring on a regular basis.

Numbness can be associated with irritation of nerve suppling intercostal cartilage.

So massage and physical therapy can be helpful.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor again and if required EKG,Echocardiography can be advised.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM