Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I just returned from grocery shopping and once again my right

I just returned from grocery shopping and once again my right leg is very painful. I've had this problem for several years now. Leg feels numb and heavy after long periods of standing. Back of leg above knee is burning. Outside of calf is painful (varicose vein there). And muscles on outside of knee are tender. I am 250 lbs at 5'2" so very overweight, but have been going to gym and using all weight machines regularly. Take meloxicam for slight arthritis in this knee and glugosamine/chondroitin also. Before shopping I also took three Motrin to try to prevent this pain. Last year had venious scans and all is well there. They told me to see a plastic surgeon. Vanity is not my problem. Many years ago I tore menicus in this knee, but xrays revealed nothing they coulld fix.
Have you had an MRI of your lumbar spine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't. Chiro suggested xray of lower spine. Would that be an MRI?

No, an x-ray wouldn't look at your disks. The numbness and heaviness you describe is from a nerve compression and it is probably a nerve root in the lower spine being compressed by a herniated disk. I suggest you get the MRI to evaluate that and I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD--for a customized treatment program that should relieve your symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for giving me hope again!

My pleasure but let me know how you do and please remember to rate my service to you.