Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am a 36 year old healthy female, and I have been havin upper

I am a 36 year old healthy female, and I have been havin upper chest pain above my breasts and below my collar bones. It stretches across both sides. I read a similar question submitted here. The answering doctor asked a few questions, although some of my answers and situation are different from the other person.

Pain increases when I put both hands together and press. It also increases if I take in any more air than a shallow breath. It does not hurt to press on the area. I have not exerted myself at all in the past several days and have not been recently ill.

Any idea about what I may be experiencing? Should I be very concerned?
Hi--how long has this been going on and is there any tenderness at all along the sides of your breast bone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just noticed it this morning when I woke up. By breast bone, do you mean sternum? I don't think I have any particular tenderness along it- when I press around it. The whole general area is very tender with arm or whole body movement. It is a tight, almost burning feeling.
OK, From what you've said I see no reason to consider this a heart problem if that were your concern. This is obviously a chest wall problem and you may be having a bout of costochondritis--inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. It doesn't sound like pneumonia or anything deeper than the chest wall. For now, ibuproven and topical capsaicin cream would be my suggestions for treatment and see how it goes tomorrow. If it still is a problem by then, have your doctor take a look because you might need a short course of prednisone to treat it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Welcome but please let me know how it goes