Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

2 months ago, I had a case of severe vertigo. I spent 2 days

2 months ago, I had a case of severe vertigo. I spent 2 days in bed until the spinning subsided. For the next 10 days or so, I was still very dizzy, but no spinning-I did have nystagmus in both eyes, left more than right. I saw an ENT who, based on tests said my inner ear on the left had lost all communication with my brain, but I had no hearing loss. He said it was probably not inner ear crystals, as there would be some communication between the ear and brain. He referred me to a neurologist who reviewed the tests, Two months ago, I had a case of severe vertigo. I spent 2 days in bed until the spinning subsided. For the next 10 days or so, I was still very dizzy, but no spinning-I did have nystagmus in both eyes, left more than right. I saw an ENT who, based on tests said my inner ear on the left had lost all communication with my brain, but I had no hearing loss. He said it was probably not inner ear crystals, as there would be some communication between the ear and brain. He referred me to a neurologist who reviewed the tests and checked for nystagmus. The neurologist told me I had Labyrinthitis and to do things that made me dizzy to re-train my brain to function without input from my left ear. Since then I have simply resumed my normal activities, and have been improving.
This week, I began a regimen of stretching exercises to improve my flexibility. At one point I lay on my back and turned my head to the left and immediately experienced spinning vertigo again. I turned my head back and the spinning stopped, but since then I have been dizzier than I had been since I saw the neurologist.
Is this normal?
I am a 59 year old female. In August I had the upper right lobe of my lung removed due to stage 1 cancer, no lymph nodes involved, and no chemo.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. I am an ENT and can help you.

How long the dizzy spell lasts? I am asking about the spell which has started this week. I mean for seconds or minutes?

Do you have any ear ringing?

Have you had brain MRI?

Any neck pain?

Do you still experience spinning if you move your head suddenly?

And do you get ok after you move your head to normal position?

Short replies to all of the above are required for best help.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long the dizzy spell lasts? I am asking about the spell which has started this week. I mean for seconds or minutes? I am always a little dizzy, more so upon movement.

Do you have any ear ringing? Yes, I have tinnitus in both ears. But no hearing loss other than what is normal for my age (per the ENT)

Have you had brain MRI? Yes – in July to check for lung cancer related tumors – all clear Smile

Any neck pain? no

Do you still experience spinning if you move your head suddenly? No spinning, just dizzy

And do you get ok after you move your head to normal position? I am ok, once I stop moving, regardless of the ending position.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. There can be two possibilities as per your symptoms. Either this recent dizziness is just the continuation of the previous labrynthitis or this can be a separate problem. The separate problem can be related to crystals to can be due to pressing of the vessels which go to brain to supply ear. This pressing of vessels can be due to problem in cervical spine and we call it cervical spondylosis. I have just mentioned these possible separate problems for your knowledge but as per symptoms these separate problems are not likely and the most likely cause still remains the continuation of labrynthitis or rather i would say after effects of labrynthitis. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab Meclizine thrice daily for three days only can be helpful. Moreover as far as what your doctor can do is concerned, he can check you again for other possible causes and can also send you for vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Meniers disease should be ruled out in your case by electrocochleography although it is also less likely but definitely we should see if these attacks are beginning of meniers disease. But don't worry and don't get stressed, you will be ok but needs further evaluation. If this is after effect of labrynthitis then this can take like 6 months or more to go away completely but that will not be spinning and will just feel like dizzy like you are now. You must be having questions in mind so please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
  I will be here for your help every time you want so please feel free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having a little trouble with your grammar.

What I think you are saying is at this point in my recovery Labrynthitis would not cause spinning vertigo, and can take 6 months for all symptoms to subside. If that is the case, is it possible that I am suffering from vestibular neuritis, not Labrynthitis?

The ENT did perform a test that involved my following a spot on a screen in a darkend with my eyes, and reciting lists of words. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the test. He did specifically say I did not have Meniers disease.

What I think you are saying is at this point in my recovery Labrynthitis would not cause spinning vertigo, and can take 6 months for all symptoms to subside. If that is the case, is it possible that I am suffering from vestibular neuronitis, not Labyrinthitis?

The ENT did perform a test that involved my following a spot on a screen with my eyes and reciting lists of words. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the test. He did specifically say I did not have Meniers disease.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a lot for your input and i am sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes recovery labrynthitis would not cause spinning, it can cause dizziness like you are having. Tinnitus and hearing loss are the features which help in differentiating between labrynthitis and vestibular neuritis but in your case you already had ear ringing so we cannot say with surity that what exactly is the cause. So yes vestibular neuritis is possible in your case but slightly less likely than labrynthitis.

If he has ruled out meniers then that's great.

I hope i am clear now but you can still ask for clarification and i will be glad to assist you. Regards.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, in your opinion, you think I am suffering from Labyrinthitis even though after over a month of continued improvement

1. I had an episode of spinning vertigo this week,

2. My dizziness symptoms have worsened since the vertigo attack

3. I have no hearing loss?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes in my opinion your problem is likely to be due to labrynthitis. All the symptoms you have mentioned above can be seen in labrynthitis. These symptoms are also seen in vestibular neuronitis but you had obvious nystagmus which labrynthitis more likely.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, rest assured that i am always here to guide and help you, regards.