Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I put the mattress of my infants bassinet on my bed for my

I put the mattress of my infants bassinet on my bed for my baby to sleep on next to me and had a fleece blanket on top of the mattress that was folded for cushion and he was laying on top of it. I woke up and he had squirmed to the side of the mattress and his face was buried in the blanket and he was wiggling around. I don't know how long he was like that. Do you think he couldn't breath? Can he get anoxia that can cause brain injury? Would he have turned blue or stopped moving if that was the case? I'm worried. I will never do that again but for now please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. How is he now? Is he breathing normally and was he active just after that? Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he is breathing normally and actually drank some formula. He is 7 weeks and was smiling also
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about this event. I will address your concerns separately. Yes this possible that he might not have breathed for a while and yes if such breathing difficulty is prolonged this can result in brain injury so you should be very careful in future. But the good thing is this that this specific event has not harmed him in anyway because before having breathing difficulty he must have cried so if he didn't then he must not have encountered any breathing difficulty. Moreover anoxia leading to brain injury is out of question because in that case symptoms occur right after that. The child can become unconscious and can turn blue but nothing such happened so just relax and be careful in future. This time he was safe. I wish you both all the best for future. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Hasan one last question when I realized he had wiggled himself to the side of the mattress he was fussy and squirming around. Is the the same as crying (whining) ?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Yes wiggling means that he was having some discomfort in breathing but the symptoms after that means that nothing was significant and he was not at all affected physically by this event. I hope he is smiling now too :) Take care of him. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery