Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I just had a left breast mastectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago, I lifted

I just had a left breast mastectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago, I lifted more than 10 lbs about
3 days ago. How canI tell if I ruptured my sutures?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Are you talking about internal sutures?

DR HASAN :

Are you experiencing any symptoms after that weight lifting?

Customer: Yes
DR HASAN :

ok

Customer: I had a little soreness and discomfort under my site and under my arm
DR HASAN :

Is there a swelling at your operated area?

DR HASAN :

Is there any pain on pressing the area of soreness?

Customer: No only under it like at my breastbone
DR HASAN :

Can you feel that the temperature over that area is raised as compared to surroundings?

Customer: It feels a little and tight when I move
DR HASAN :

Have you tried anything so far for soreness?

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer: Heating pads and tylendol
DR HASAN :

Has it helped?

DR HASAN :

Has tylenol helped you or not?

DR HASAN :

Are you with me

Customer: Yes the Tylenol help with the discomfort
DR HASAN :

Thanks

DR HASAN :

Just few questions so that i can assess your problem.

DR HASAN :

Can you raise your habd normally without significant pain?

Customer: Ok
Customer: Yes I'm still doing my exercises
DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

i have assessed your symptoms in detail and i would like to reassure you that you are safe and your sutures were not affected because

DR HASAN :

By third week, internal tissues have significantly healed and weight lifting in your case cannot result in suture break down

DR HASAN :

Rather by third week most of the internal sutures get absorbed.

DR HASAN :

Moreover your symptoms are not consistent with any wound breakdown otherwise in that case you must have significant swelling and pain on motion.

DR HASAN :

So just relax and continue tylenol and massage the area with OTC voltaren gel twice daily and you will be fine in few days.

DR HASAN :

If symptoms persist for one week or worsen then visit your doctor but hopefully this wil not be required.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer: Yes what will the gel do
Customer: What will the gel do
DR HASAN :

Yes sure, that wil lhelp you because its likely to be just a pulled muscle.

DR HASAN :

Gel is local anti inflammatory and pain killer.

DR HASAN :

It will absorb to reach internal tissues and will relieve the inflammation.

DR HASAN :

If you are allowed to take ibuprofen thrice daily then its better than tylenol.

Customer: Great thank you so much
DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

DR HASAN :

You can click the smiley to rate the answer. 

You can always come back on this page to ask more whenever you want.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery