Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I woke up this morning with eye pain, a migraine, nauseous,

Customer Question

I woke up this morning with eye pain, a migraine, nauseous, and dizziness. I had a ct scan a few weeks ago that came back clear. What could this be? I had my eyes checked Thursday of last week and he said he saw nothing wrong with my eyes.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How often do you get these and have you been given any medication for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Off and on for two months. I was told to just take Tylenol or aspirin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--what kind of doctor have you seen for this--a neurologist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My physician and then an ER doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--so did the doctors explain to you about migraines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but my left side of my body was numb and weak. So I was told it was a complicated migraine, which I'm not sure what that means. If it was a tumor would it have shown up on the ct scan?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--a brain tumor would have shown up on the scan so don't worry about that part. By complicated migraine he meant that the aura--the part of a migraine that often precedes the headache--was complicated. Usually one gets wavy lines in the vision or sometimes an unusual smell or taste but sometimes there can be numbness and weakness in one side of the body. If this becomes a persistent problem for you, you should see a neurologist for treatment. Medications like Imitrex, Zomig, or Maxalt are very effective for migraines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still constantly scared of a tumor or stroke. I read somewhere that tumors in the orbits wouldn't show up.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You aren't having symptoms consistent with an orbit tumor and a ct of the brain would also scan through the orbits and detect a tumor if one were there. And a stroke at your age would be from a ruptured aneurysm that would also have been detected on the scan. I know you're worried, but these are just migraines and not dangerous

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be worried since I had never ha one until two months ago and now I have them very often? Could migraines affect only part of the head? Like this morning it was the left side, and now it's the top back of my head.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, migraines can affect just one side of the head or a different part with each migraine. One other possibility here would be a disk problem in the neck that could also give the same pattern of pain so I would also get an MRI of your cervical spine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I just go to my doctor and explain my symptoms and request an MRI?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--ask for an MRI of the cervical spine and ask to see a neurologist for the headaches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have general anxiety disorder.. Could this be from my anxiety? Or is it possible this is causing my anxiety symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The numbness could be from anxiety but not the headaches. Your anxiety could also make the pain seem even more intense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to make the numbness go away? And the headache?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You can try either ibuprofen or naprosyn along with capsaicin cream to the back of your neck. Caffeine can also help with migraines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aneurysm symptoms wouldn't have lasted this long, right? And with a tumor my pain wouldn't be in different spots every time, right? I am trying to find some comfort in this situation.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
This isn't an aneurysm for two reasons--the pattern of the pain is wrong and the ct was normal. And for you to have a tumor that was large enough to cause headaches that would also have shown up on the ct. Seriously, these are just headaches--probably variant migraines--and nothing more serious than that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the eye pain is normal too? It's like shooting pains, kind of like eye strain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes the eye pain is a typical area for a migraine. Seriously you need to stop worrying about tumors and aneurysms and strokes--these are just migraines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Facial numbness is common with migraines too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--very common. Acutually some of the symptoms of migraines are similar to a stroke but you've had the ct and a stroke has been ruled out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel unstable when I walk. Kind of off balance.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I just realized that you and I spoke yesterday. Listen, I've spent a good deal of time with you here and the balance statement is really a new question. I'd ask that you rate my answer from yesterday like you said you would and then we can continue on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize I never rated you. I will do that now. But I do not feel this is a new question since it is something off of what I am experiencing this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. So tell me exactly everything that has gone on since you woke up this morning.