Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My daughter is complaining of a sharp pain behind her ear,

My daughter is complaining of a sharp pain behind her ear, near the top. I can't see a thing wrong with it. I put cortisone on it yesterday. It didn't go away. I tried neosporin last night but she still says it hurts this morning. Should we go to the doctor? I can't see anything wrong with it... But she says it hurts really badly "like a hammer".

Greetings Kaia.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Has she cold, running nose / blocked nose, ear pain, tenderness behind the ear, fever?
Any significant past medical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has a slightly stuffed nose, tenderness behind the ear- no pain in the ear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She does have Asperger's syndrome, but I'm not sure how that would impact this.

Hello Kaia,

Tenderness behind the ear and history of slightly stuffed nose with hammer like pain warrants an examination by a doctor to rule out mastoiditis. The other possibility is Mumps. This can occur despite the vaccination (though the severity is less). Migraine is the other possibility of the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.