Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

At the beginning of August my wife (71) went away with a friend

At the beginning of August my wife (71) went away with a friend for the weekend. Probably as a result of a stressful train journey then eating and drinking more than usual she developed a particularly severe bout of IBS – severe cramps in waves and diarrhoea. (She has suffered from IBS on and off over many years).
This continued for a week during which time she took Hyoscine Butylbromide tablets which eased it a little.
However she is still suffering from what she describes as almost continuous tenderness in the lower abdomen, a quite severe, stitch-like pain in the lower right side of the abdomen – also alternating diarrhoea and constipation.
Her doctor has sent her for a scan of the ovaries (all clear) and for blood tests – again all clear.
The doctor then prescribed Mebeverine, which has eased the discomfort a little.
Her regular medication are:
Ramipril – 2.5mg
Pravastatin – 40mg
Clopidogrel – 75mg (now changed to, but not yet started, dipyridamole 200mg – not started because it carries a warning about heart valve problems from which my wife also suffers).
Any advice will be very welcome!
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Your wife's symptoms are suggestive of diverticulosis and diverticulitis. Any significant pain and other symptoms (alternate diarrhea with constipation) going on for so long also would need to rule out other significant diseases like polyps (benign growth) or some other growth in the large intestine. A continuous tenderness is more indicative of diverticulitis. Diverticulum are the blind pouch of the intestine where food can stagnate and predisposes for the infection. A course of antibiotic like Metronidazole and probiotics should be able to resolve the symptoms. A CT scan or a barium enema are the diagnostic studies for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Very many thanks. You confirm our own diagnosis. Our problem now is to get our Doctor to prescribe antibiotics and probiotics as he is convinced that his prescribed treatment is all that is needed!

You are very welcome, Peter.

You may ask your doctor to get this investigated and also suggest the diagnosis. Most of the doctors are receptive of the patient's input.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have written to him today asking for an investigation and suggesting the diagnosis, as you have mentioned. We shall see!!

Again, many thanks.

You are most welcome, Peter.

Best wishes and kindest regards