Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a consistent pain below the diaphram and above the belly

Customer Question

I have a consistent pain below the diaphram and above the belly button. No nausea or or other symptoms and has been extreme and consistent for the past 12 hours.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry about your significant abdominal pain?
Do you have bloating, gas, heartburn, urinary symptoms, constipation / diarrhea, abdominal tenderness?
Pain is on the right side or left side of abdomen (or all over above the belly button)?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

No major surgery or illness in the past. None of the classic symptoms of cramping, bloating or urinary symptoms.

Pain is just below the ribcage and slightly to the right but mostly in the centre.

Citric Soda and the like had no effect. However, mild pain killers such as Paracetamol temporarily provide relief.

Hello Charlotte,

The most common cause of pain in your age group is gall bladder stone. The other possibilities are;

1) Peptic ulcer
2) Gastritis
3) Pancreatitis
4) Kidney stone

You may try antacids and acid blockers (like Omeprazole), which are over the counter. If the pain is moderate to severe; you should get an evaluation by a doctor. An ultrasound and a CT scan is necessary for the work up.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Arun,

I have been sleeping now for 3 hours. I think the paracetamol and citric soda provided some relief which allowed me to sleep. Last night the pain was so bad, I wasn't able to.

The pain is much more bearable now but what pain I have has now moved from the upper middle abdomen to my right middle, just underneath where my rib cage finishes. Is it quite to tender to press.

I'm wondering if any of this could have something to do with pregnancy? I have not tested positive, but we have been trying to conceive. My period is due tomorrow. I've never had anything like this before with no other symptoms at all.

Many thanks

You are very welcome, Charlotte.

It is good that you slept well. A pain relieved with citric soda and paracetamol and now confined to mid upper abdomen with tenderness would be indicative of peptic ulcer or gall bladder pain. Pregnancy is not much likely to be related to it.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun