Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hello, I am a 21 year old male, 5·10 280 pounds. My concern

Hello, I am a 21 year old male, 5·10 280 pounds. My concern is my pulse, it's been low,, even as low add mid to low 50s, should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.

This may not be concerning, if you do not have any symptoms. This is called as sinus bradycardia and will need a 12-lead ECG to confirm the diagnosis. Medical treatment of sinus bradycardia is usually not indicated for asymptomatic person. If you have symptoms you would also require blood work, echocardiography and lung function tests. Accordingly medical treatment would be advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are advising me to get tests done because of this? I have had an EKG done before and echo. I have not done anything today besides sit on the couch, no physical activity or anything. Right now this pulse oxygen thing is saying that my pulse is 53.
Hello George,

If you have symptoms like dizziness, breathlessness, you would require thyroid function tests, blood glucose, electrolytes, etc. If you do not have symptoms, usually no investigations would be necessary. Since your EKG and echocardiography was normal, I would not be worried about anything serious.

It is priivlege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However, I had these tests before my pulse was ever this low. I don't know if that makes a different or not. But they were done in the past year. I don't really feel dizzy or anything, and I'm not sure if it is my anxiety, but I do feel a slight shortness of breath, but nothing I find concerning. Do you think I should contact my doctor Monday, or see how I feel in a couple days.I just get worried because I don't wat it to get super low or something while I'm sleeping.
Hello George,

There is no urgency to see your doctor and your shortness of breath is likely due to anxiety. You may seek a routine appointment just to re confirm that there is nothing untoward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How low would you consider to be too low for someone my size? I used to be an athlete but haven't done anything really on the past year or so. So what would be considered too low?
George,

Anything lower than 50 would be consider too low. People who had done lot of physical activity or are / were athlete do have low pulse rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pulse is now 48. But didn't stay there long, so I got up and walked around and then it went way up...I'm not sure what to think. Also my oxygen level is staying perfect between 97_99..
George,

There is nothing worrisome at this point of time with this pulse rate as your oxygen saturation is normal. When you do not have symptoms; do not regularly take these parameters; as these would cause unnecessary anxiety. As we discussed there is no urgency but no harm in talking to your doctor to get the thyroid function tests etc. Let the doctor decide, if you need any medication for it. I feel, you would not require any treatment, if your investigations come out to be normal. Asymptomatic people are not treated. Again remember, symptoms are more important than these parameters, and symptoms would guide the need of treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Arun, today, my bp has been high but my pulse continues to stay in the fifties. It was 171/100. This is high for me because I do take bp medication
George,

This is very high BP. You medication dose may need to be increased or change in the medication may be required. Your BP medications (If you are on Beta blockers like Atenolol) also can keep the pulse low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not on any blockers, and take a dose of 60 mg of lisinopril a day
20 mg more than biggest dose. Plus hydrochlorozide. And my bp is not normally that high
Anxiety may be a factor for the transient high blood pressure episode. Since your blood pressure is usually normal, there is nothing to worry than.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine