Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have been a heavy drinker for the past 15 years. Three nights

Customer Question

I have been a heavy drinker for the past 15 years. Three nights ago I had an excessive amount to drink. When I woke up the next day my left abdominal was in horrible pain!! It's been almost 48 hrs and I have not slept still in great pain. My question is this is this something that needs to be addressed now or can I wait till Monday? Also was wondering if anybody new what it might be? Thank you for your help!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 2 years ago.

Is pain radiating to back,right side of abdomen?

Associated heartburn,nausea,vomiting?

Is area tender to touch?

Shortness of breath,chest pain?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Bloating and flatulence?

Pain during urination?

Frequent urination?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--in this case you need to get to the ER right away since you likely are having a bout of pancreatitis and that can be so serious as to even be fatal. Any severe abdominal pain that has lasted this long cannot be ignored and go unevaluated and untreated. Please take me very seriously here and get to an ER now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been in Er for almost two hrs does not seem to be a priority for them how can this be properly diagnosed? Blood work,uren work?

As other expert is offline and you have severe pain so sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

As you pain is severe and possible causes may include acute pancreatitis,Gastritis.

Further investigations that may be required include

Ultrasound of the whole abdomen.

Serum Amylase and Serum Lipase

LFT

CBC,ESR

The line of treatment may include

Antispasmodic medication like buscopan etc

Antacids like prilosec

Pancreatitis is a acute emergency and usually require hospitalisation.

It is a common diagnosis in people with a history of alcohol abuse.

Second possibility include

GERD/Acid reflux/Gastritis

So if possible consult a doctor ASAP for further diagnosis and management.