Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Please let me know what you think of the photos on snap fish

Customer Question

Please let me know what you think of the photos on snap fish account and if anything looms worrying
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I wish you'd stick to just one area instead of bombarding me with so many photos of more than one area of your body but let's stick with the eyelids for now. I see a freckle or two and nothing else. Next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marks on shoulder looks uneven?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I see only freckles and a few zits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mark on penis or any bruise?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No bruising, no broken vessels, no redness, nothing unusual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gums bleed a little when I brush them, but that isn't a sign of oral cancer right? Plus I had a scan a month ago by a dentist and they didn't find anything, is it obvious when someone has it? Sorry, getting it all out
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not a sign of oral cancer. And yes, a dental exam and a scan would find oral cancer if it were there. But you really haven't ever addressed my point that we're going to be doing this until forever until you make more progress on your OCD than you have so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm with a new therapist who focuses on CBT and there once a week. I'm doing all my exercises and have seen some improvement in my response to OCD thoughts, but no decrease as of yet in the thoughts themselves
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

So where's the improvement in the response--not saying you aren't right, but so far I can't see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm less nervous when awaiting response. But the thoughts are still ever apparent, just more bearable.

So that mark on the bottom of my penis. The little dark line, it's still not worrisome? Definitely not cancer and won't become cancer? Just hyperpigmentstion and that doesn't turn to cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just hyperpigmentation and nothing more. I guess what I'm saying is I find it sad that, on your vacation, when absolutely nothing bad can really happen like a new cancer suddenly popping up that would kill you if it weren't taken care of immediately, you spend time coming here with your photos. The actions themselves fuel your OCD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm not happy about it either. But I have to convince others I'm ok, so I need short term reassurance to function at the moment. But I have a plan and am working on a long term plan.

Hyperpigmentstion does not turn into cancer? Just moles and moles are different from hyperpigmentstion?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
100% correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you check snapfish for a bruise? I thought I saw one.

Also is skin cancer obvious and easy to diagnose? My big worry is that i will be concerned about a mark and a do for will say its nothing but it will turn out to really be a mElanoma. But a cancer would have to have some worrying feature that would cause a doctor to be concerned right? I remember one dermatologist on this site said that every few years something a dermatologist isn't too worried about will come back as melanoma. But they still biopsies those marks so there had to be something concerning about them correct? Do i ever have to worry about a mark that doesn't worry doctors enough about cancer to biopsy it and them dying because that mark was cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No bruising or any abnomal marks. And yes, marks are biopsied when there's something worrisome about them like a change in color, size, form, etc. I wish you'd drop the reference to dying though--it's almost as though you have a death wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That wasn't really my question tho. I mean will melanoma or skin cancer always have some concerning feature that is recognizable by a doctor? And even if it changes shape or color would it have to change into a shape or color that is worrisome even if you aren't able to compare with an old picture of it to be sure that it changed? Like if a mole changes but it changes and still doesn't look worrisome is there any worry of it being cancer?
Should you always biopsy changing moles?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That was a really convoluted question. I'm only going to say that a doctor would biopsy any lesion that he felt had a possibility of being cancer. Leave it at that because you're getting into what ifs again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again that wasn't my question and you know it wasn't. Please answer my question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Stop it I'm not avoiding the question here and sometimes you really frustrate me with your attitude. I told you that was a very convoluted question and really it wasn't clear exactly what you were asking so please try to condense it down to just the brass tacks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does a skin cancer or melanoma always have concerning features that would worry a doctor at least a little bit?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Sorry I thought you were avoiding the question. So as long as I get marks checked out quickly I don't need to worry about skin cancer or melanoma because a doctor will always be able to tell if a mark has a chance of being cancer. Is that 100% correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
100% correct and sorry for being short with you but your revamp of the question was great--very easy to answer specifically without trying to cover all the little curves in your long questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can you just confirm a few things:
1) any melanoma, including a nodular melanoma would take at least six months from the time it is visible and obvious to the time that it could metastasize. Any website that says it could reach deeper tissue in as little as three months is wrong. The consensus of the medical community is that a nodar melanoma metastasizing less than six months after becoming visible and obvious is not possible. Is that 100% correct?

2) a doctor can see the entire inside of my nose where a melanoma could appear. While they cannot see as far up as the sinuses they can see the whole area where a melanoma could occur so long as they have one of those tools with a light attached to a thing they look through. Is that 100% correct?

3) a doctor would be able to see a melanoma in my nose despite the presence of any hairs or boogers or what not. Or if something was blocking their view they would do something to remove the obstruction. Is that 100% correct?

Are all three statements 100% correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
All three statements are 100% correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Remember that web page I sent you once about the woman who died of mucous melanoma? It's scaring me that they didn't find anything until they did a surgery to remove a bunch of polyps.
Would the polyps have been in an area where a doctor could see it while looking inside the nose?
I know it's very rare for a melanoma to occur on organs without it being on the skin first but would a full body mri pick up any melanoma growing on organs or sinuses or anywhere other than the skin? I know Mri s can't pick up cancer in the blood or skin but can they pick up cancer in all other places?
Can you think of any reason why I wouldn't pay for a full body mri just to be cautious?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly were the polyps located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know and I'm afraid to read that page again. But aren't polyps just located on the inside of the nose? And would they be visible when a doctor looks inside the nose with one if those lights?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, nasal polyps are easily seen with the otoscope. Your question about the MRI isn't easily answered but no, a melanoma growing in organs wouldn't be picked up by an MRI. The biggest problem I see with your getting a full body MRI is your OCD is going to say what if it missed something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? Would the abdominal ultrasound have picked up a melanoma growing on organs? How do they test for that then? Is it possible I have s melanoma in any of the places I have checked then like colon esophagus, liver kidneys pancreasxetc ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You are really letting your imagination run wild here. Of course, if a melanoma had become metastatic and had spread to other organs and produced tumors there that would be seen on an MRI. Listen--I refuse to go on with this line here. If you feel it would make you feel better to get a whole body MRI, by all means, do so. But since you don't have a skin melanoma so far, I see no reason to think the MRI will be anything but normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if it would pick up a Metastic tumor how come it wouldn't pick up a primary melanoma on an organ?
Is that incredibly rare anyway?
Just trying to figure out if there is a way to know for sure that there are is no cancer anywhere in my body
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Where did you get primary tumor on an organ? Melanomas occur on skin and mucus membranes but they aren't primary on organs. And I can assure you right now that no matter how many tests and labs and whatever a doctor could do on a patient, there would be no way the doctor could guarantee 100% that there was no cancer anywhere in that patient's body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm confused , in your first response you said that an mri wouldn't pick up a melanoma on an organ but now you seem to be saying that it would?
Like I had an abdominal ultrasound and nobody seems concerned about my liver, do I know there is no cancer in my liver? I had a colonoscopy that came up normal, could there still be cancer there ?

So there is no way to test for all cancers? Wouldn't an mri pick up all inner cancer , skin check for skin cancer , blood check for blood cancer, etc. isn't there a way to do that ?
Are the cancers you can't check for so rare, and incredibly rare in someone under 33 that the chances if having them are almost non existent?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I was talking about a metastatic lesion on an organ,not a primary tumor which doesn't happen. There are ways of checking for certain cancers like leukemia, lymphoma, and markers for certain cancers like colon cancer. What I'm saying is that even if you had all the tests that might possibly pick up a cancer, a doctor couldn't tell you that it was 100% certain you didn't have a small cancer somewhere that couldn't as yet be detected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Metastic lesions are 100% noticeable on an ultrasound? Even small ones?

And blood cancers would be caught in any blood test I assume?

I still have some red in my stool but endoscopy came up normal. The red went away for a bit. I sometimes have analysts pain after a bowel movement , and have movements frequently, maybe I have a cut that us not being allowed to heal?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
analysts pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should read anal pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Possibly an anal fissure but not cancer. Blood cancers are caught on the CBC. Metastatic lesions are 100% detectable on ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remember that mark that had been on my finger but disappeared? Is it normal for a new mark of hyperpigmentstion to appear , be there for a few months, then fade, and then disappear ? I'm worried that was cancer , it metastasized to my blood and at any minute it could spread to my organs. How long would it be until I am safely out of the woods if it was a melanoma? A few months ? A year? Like if it went into my blood how soon after would a doctor be able to tell this by feeling my lymph nodes?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, hyperpigmented lesions can fade and disappear. That wasn't a melanoma. I'm just not going to comment on time spans any more for metastasis--I've answered you about that in the past.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm talking sbout when those little melanoma cells are in the blood and how long it takes from when those little cells are in the blood to when it would show up on something that you could test or show up in an organ. How long can they just be hanging out in the blood for before they show up somewhere else?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not an easy question to answer specifically but it might take at least a year before a metastatic lesion were found in lymph nodes or in an organ.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But you remember the mark I'm talking about? You are sure you saw it and it wasn't a melanoma? I'm looking through snap fish now but can't seem to find it, I might have erased it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Every mark you've shown me--every last one--hasn't been a melanoma. And a melanoma doesn't disappear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Melanomas don't ever disappear ever ? The body doesn't fight them off? I though i read once that that can happen
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't know what you read, but melanomas don't disappear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I found the pictures. They are marked with the date October 16th in snapfish. Please please let me know if the marks are a hyperpigmentstion and something that could disappear easily. Please be brutally honest and let me know if the pictures are clear. Please also let me know if that is my left pinky finger
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's a finger so I assume it's your left pinky. Just hyperpigmentation--nothing more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you absolutely sure? That mark could not be even an early stage melanoma?
Early stage melanomas do not ever look like hyperpigmentstion? They look like moles but not hyperpigmentstion?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If I wasn't sure I would tell you--stop insulting me please. Yes early stage melanomas look like moles and not like simple hyperpigmentation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And you can definitely tell the difference between hyperpigmentations and moles in photos? And this is definitely just a hyperpigmentation? And one that could fade and disappear?

One walk in doctor doesn't seem to differentiate between moles and hyperpigmentation is why I ask. And one dermatologist said that rarely a melanoma can go away without treatment, but did he mean that the mark stops being cancer and not that it goes well?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can tell the difference. This is definitely just hyperpigmentation. And those can fade and disappear. I can't speak to what the one dermatologist said. Melanomas can regress--get smaller--but they don't disappear entirely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I know I have been bad these past few days, but today is my second last day away from a walk in clinic so I should be better soon. I have been having chest pains but at first they were on my left side and then my right. They come and they go. Some times they radiate up under my chin and other times to my back. I am in a new place and eating new food and had bad stomach gas pains earlier. Is this just gas? Anything to be concerned about?
The pain is brief but comes back.
I went to the er not too long ago and they took blood and it came back fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How long do they last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Few minutes sometimes and sometimes just moments, but tough to tell as the pain tends to shift locations.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And when they're there does it hurt to take a deep breath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I take a very deep breathe I can sort of feel the area that had the pain a but more when my lungs are fully expanded, but not much
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--not cardiac if that was your worry. Sounds like reflux/heartburn but nothing serious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cardiac was my concern but the fact that it changes locations means its not right? It has settled on the right side of my chest for awhile now, like twenty minutes whereas this morning it was stuck in my left side for a good while.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, cardiac pain doesn't migrate like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed another cherry thing on my arm about an inch and a half from another one. What is causing these? If it were a sign of cancer would they appear all at once in a cluster? Or could a cluster start off as a few isolated ones?Also I just noticed a mark on my leg that had inconsistent color and I have posted the pics on snapfish, there should be 8 photos
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not cancer on the leg and I don't see any variation in color in it. As for the hemangiomas there are no specific reasons why they occur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if a cluster was to occur because of cancer the cluster wouldn't begin one at a time? There would be a big chunk all at once?

So the mark is just hyperpigmentation?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--hyperpigmentation. And cherry hemangiomas aren't related to cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you said once that they can be a sign of an inner malignancy if there is a cluster of them. And I remember reading that on Wikipedia. But would that cluster appear all at once? Ie if I have a few here and there that are not too far from each other could that be the beginning of a cluster or would a cluster be something that all appears at once?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I meant they aren't precancerous themselves. Yes, we're talking about a large cluster occurring at the same time. You don't have that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry, I promise this will be the last thing tonight. I just went to urinate and the stream seemed to shoot out a small black thing. I'm certain this was probably just a hair that found its way on to the tip if my penis but there is no condition that would cause painless long and skinny black things to shoot out during urination correct? No uti or anything? That kind of discharge is definitely not associated with any type if penis cancer or something that could affect my penis?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--it must have been a hair because there is no condition that causes one to urinate a skinny black thing--not cancer, not infection, nothing does that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So something that is scaring me is the prospect that perhaps I had a melanoma that has regressed or disappeared but metastasized and us in my blood and I'm just waiting for it to get to an organ.
I remember reading that someone thought that melanomas that were fought off on the skin after they had metastasized were the cause if metastasized melanoma where no primary tumor can be found. But are you saying that can't happen and that I would still have a visible melanoma if I had a metastasized melanoma? The medical opinion all agree that melanomas don't disappear?
I'm also worried because I just recently started using sunscreen, although I don't hang out in the sun too much.
I do live in a place with not too high uv tho
But you said once that melanoma isn't really related to sun exposure, is that definitely the case? How comes rates of it are higher in aces like Australia then ?

So sorry....

I just keep worrying I'm going to find out soon I'm dying
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Melanomas don't disappear period. And melanomas are not the kind of skin cancer associated with persistent sun exposure. And you need to discuss with your therapist this fear of dying because that is going to stick with you perhaps forever until you deal with it. Now it's time to close this page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you promise me 100% that melanomas don't ever disappear? I know I read that somebody thought they could. Please promise me you know for sure that's wrong and that they definitely don't. I'm so sorry but I'm so scared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer. I just need to know 100% that they don't disappear. I'm so sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry. I know that some say there is a risk of melanoma and people who had sunburns as kids. I can remember getting sun burns a couple of times as a kid, at least one where I peeled. But doesn't everyone have a history of a few sun burns as a kid? How close is this link or are we talking about kids who had to be hospitalized or receive medical treatment for a severe burn?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Melanomas don't ever disappear. A few sunburns don't increase the risk for melanomas. Now, please, let's close this page.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice