How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 28151
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was cleaning out the basement and came across some old batteries.

This answer was rated:

I was cleaning out the basement and came across some old batteries. I noticed powdery corrosion and some i think got on my fingers. I washed my hands afterword, but i was wondering what it was and how dangerous or poisonous it is. Thanks. They were AAA batteries and the powder seemed to be light blue in color.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello? did you answer? if so I didnt see it.

Thanks for your question.
The AAA battery may contain acid or alkali powder.
Sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid are the common ones.
If you washed your hand well, then there is nothing to be worried about.
These acids are strongly corrosive and can burn your mouth and throat if ingested orally.
Otherwise, there is no other health effect just by skin exposure.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hmm how do I know I have cleaned it all? Do I have to worry about accidentally getting in my mouth or eyes? Is it deadly poison besides skin burns?

Not a deadly poison.
Since you do not have any symptoms yet, You should not worry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you believe the symptoms would occur quickly? What time frame? Thanks

Yes within an hour of exposure.
Without any symptoms within an hours, you have no reason to worry about.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the symptoms be serious enough where I would clearly notice them? I do feel a slight sore throat, but maybe its unrelated or in my head.

Yes you will clearly notice them and would have been much sicker.
No, slight sore throat is not related.

Best wishes
Dr Basu and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you