Greetings Diane.What is your age and gender?Are you diabetic?Do you have neck pain?Dr. Arun
I am a 49 yr old woman, no neck pain...just the right arm...started from upper to back shoulder and draws down the length of the arm, right now the pain is just below the elbow....and the middle finger hurts
This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the neck which are causing arm and hand symptoms. This can be due to;
1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck
2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.
Following investigations would be required;
1) X-ray of the neck spine
2) MRI of the neck
3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study
4) Electromyography (EMG)
Following measures would be helpful;
1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.
a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.
b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).
c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.
2) Cervical Collar or Brace
3) Cervical traction
4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain is quite significant.
6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.
7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.
You can consult following specialists;
b) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.