Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am kind of paranoid for the past two months about rabies

Customer Question

I am kind of paranoid for the past two months about rabies after researching it and on question is we have a dog who IS current on all vaccines sometimes at night my wife lets him out we dont have a fence so he roams the neighborhood we.have.alot of stray cats so can my dog pick up the virus on his paws toe nails or mouth or teeth or nose.and infect my family or am I just over analyzin things ...please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings Juan.

Your description does not indicate that you are at a risk of Rabies (especially with the up to date vaccination of the dog). If there was no injury / bite by the stray cats, chance of rabies is zero. If there was a bite by the cat, your veterinary doctor may consider a booster vaccine. In United States, canine rabies is eradicated. Please see this CDC article;

Internet resources are many times unauthentic and they can play in mind and cause unnecessary anxiety. You can decrease your anxiety by preventing the roaming of your dog free in the surrounding vicinity.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even if scratched me in my inner lip two days ago?
Yes Juan. Your dog, does not have Rabies virus, so that is not the risk. If you are feeling any irritation or infection in the inner lip you may do Betadine gargles and consult your doctor, if you need a course of antibiotic.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So Ive been worrying myself for nothing lol?
Yes, Juan, there is nothing worrisome. Please do not loose sleep over it.