Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Ive started to occasionally use a female French catheter to

I've started to occasionally use a female French catheter to relieve my urine. Sometimes has catheter is not completely sterile. After using one that is not sterile (just from the package) I experience itching at the beginning of my urethra. No burning, no frequent urination, just slight discomfort. Can I put a cream on this area which I got from my gynecologist - Nystatin and Triamcinolone to relieve the itching sensation or what should I do?

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The itching or irritation of the beginning of the urethra is likely either due to mild grade infection of inflammation due to irritation of inserting the catheter. You may apply Betadine solution (available without prescription) on a sterile cotton (available at the health stores) and wipe the urethra superficially. This can be done whenever you insert the catheter. Take care that catheter is properly lubricated by the Lidocaine jelly. A urine examination is usually recommended because many times there are no symptoms like frequency or urgency but urinary tract infection may be persisting. In that case, a course of antibiotic may be needed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.