Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I felt a pop in my stomach on the left side of my abdomen.

I felt a pop in my left abdomen. No pain. Should I be worried its my spleen? I have been burping a lot so could it just be gas?

Can you tell me more about what exactly happened?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was sitting in the car and as I raised up I felt a "pop" noise. No pain at all.
where exactly was the pop located? Did it feel as though it was in your abdominal wall or deeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I felt as though it may have been on my rib but I'm just worried.

OK, but it would help to know exactly where it felt as though the pop were located.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It felt like it was on the edge of my rib. I don't know how else to explain it.
OK. No this wouldn't be your spleen and it wouldn't be anything too serious. It's possible it was just a trapped air bubble in your large bowel that just popped or it could have been a slightly dislocated rib that relocated. Nothing about this would have anything to do with your spleen. Unless it happens again I see no reason even to let your doctor know about this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. My left rib is tender in a few spots.
That could be from the dislocation being in the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breast bone--absolutely not your spleen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much! I have an anxiety disorder so this has had me a nervous wreck.
Seriously--this is nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have several tender spots on my abdomen now. They're even up my ribs and my back shoulder blade is hurting and back is tight.

this is mostly from the ribs up and in the back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
a little in my upper abdomen along the edge of my ribs.
the ribs are tender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I feel nauseous.
OK-we're still not talking anything in the abdomen here. You may have something called costochodritis--inflammation of that cartilage I mentioned that connects the ribs to the breast bone. Included in that, you may have a pinched intercostal nerve where the ribs meet the spine. Still nothing too serious. Try some ibuprofen and rest and a heating pad if you have one and see how things go the rest of the weekend. If it's still a problem on Monday, have your doctor take a look at this but again, nothing so serious you need to get to the ER for it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would be symptoms of a ruptured spleen? Just so I can find comfort in knowing that is not what is wrong with me.

Well, first off it would be extremely rare to rupture the spleen unless there were a significant blow to the abdomen. As for symptoms, left upper quadrant of the abdomen severe pain, slowly distending (enlarging abdomen), rise in pulse rate and faint, chilly feeling from loss of blood, and sweating. I assure you this isn't a ruptured spleen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is my anxiety most likely making my symptoms seem worse? Like the more I think about them?

Well, anxiety can make the perception of pain higher than if you weren't anxious about this. Perhaps the best thing I can say here is that if you had ruptured your spleen before you first posted your question, by now you'd either be in the ER or unable to respond to me. It only takes no more than an hour or less for a ruptured spleen to disable the patient.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That makes me feel much better. Thank you for working with me.
My pleasure--any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question. If it is an inflammation of the ribs, would it hurt worse with pressure? Now that I am laying down it hurts a little more.

either pressure directly on the anterior chest wall or just by lying down you compress the posterior ribs and that can aggravate the pain. It would be best for tonight if you could lie with two pillows under your head or with the head of the bed at about a 45 degree angle to take pressure off your back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will use extra pillows. Thank you so much for your help. Bless you.
Same to you