Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I felt a pop in my left abdomen.

I felt a pop in my left abdomen. No pain. Should I be worried its my spleen? I have been burping a lot so could it just be gas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me more about what exactly happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sitting in the car and as I raised up I felt a "pop" noise. No pain at all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And where exactly was the pop located? Did it feel as though it was in your abdominal wall or deeper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I felt as though it may have been on my rib but I'm just worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK but it would help to know exactly where it felt as though the pop were located.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It felt like it was on the edge of my rib. I don't know how else to explain it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. No this wouldn't be your spleen and it wouldn't be anything too serious. It's possible it was just a trapped air bubble in your large bowel that just popped or it could have been a slightly dislocated rib that relocated. Nothing about this would have anything to do with your spleen. Unless it happens again I see no reason even to let your doctor know about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. My left rib is tender in a few spots.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That could be from the dislocation being in the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breast bone--absolutely not your spleen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I have an anxiety disorder so this has had me a nervous wreck.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Seriously--this is nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have several tender spots on my abdomen now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.I need an answer
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I stepped away. Tell me more about the tender spots
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're even up my ribs and my back shoulder blade is hurting and back is tight.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So this is mostly from the ribs up and in the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes a little in my upper abdomen along the edge of my ribs.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And the ribs are tender?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. And I feel nauseous.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK-we're still not talking anything in the abdomen here. You may have something called costochodritis--inflammation of that cartilage I mentioned that connects the ribs to the breast bone. Included in that, you may have a pinched intercostal nerve where the ribs meet the spine. Still nothing too serious. Try some ibuprofen and rest and a heating pad if you have one and see how things go the rest of the weekend. If it's still a problem on Monday, have your doctor take a look at this but again, nothing so serious you need to get to the ER for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be symptoms of a ruptured spleen? Just so I can find comfort in knowing that is not what is wrong with me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, first off it would be extremely rare to rupture the spleen unless there were a significant blow to the abdomen. As for symptoms, left upper quadrant of the abdomen severe pain, slowly distending (enlarging abdomen), rise in pulse rate and faint, chilly feeling from loss of blood, and sweating. I assure you this isn't a ruptured spleen. Please remember to rate my service to you since I've spent a good deal of time on this with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my anxiety most likely making my symptoms seem worse? Like the more I think about them? I will be rating you excellent.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, anxiety can make the perception of pain higher than if you weren't anxious about this. Perhaps the best thing I can say here is that if you had ruptured your spleen before you first posted your question, by now you'd either be in the ER or unable to respond to me. It only takes no more than an hour or less for a ruptured spleen to disable the patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes me feel much better. Thank you for working with me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--any time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question and then I will rate you and be on my way! If it is an inflammation of the ribs, would it hurt worse with pressure? Now that I am laying down it hurts a little more.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--either pressure directly on the anterior chest wall or just by lying down you compress the posterior ribs and that can aggravate the pain. It would be best for tonight if you could lie with two pillows under your head or with the head of the bed at about a 45 degree angle to take pressure off your back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will use extra pillows. Thank you so much for your help. Bless you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Same to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to see how you were