Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

hi doc i have a lump in my perriannal region. i saw a surgeon

hi doc

i have a lump in my perriannal region. i saw a surgeon around 6 months ago and he basically describes it as follows; subcutenous, asymptomatic, requires excision and biopsy. i have had it for a few years - probably over 5 years. grows very slowly. not painful at all. does not bother me but looks odd. however the surgeon asked me to have it removed so that it does not become complicated later on and says it is a short surgery with local anaesthatic. i am 40 years old - male. i am worried if it could be cancerous. i am meeting another surgeon to have a look at it again and get another opinion. pls advise what you think? should i be worried ?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

I understand your concern.

mysticdoc :

Since this lump is present for 5 years without much growth or any other symptoms, this is unlikely cancerous.

mysticdoc :

Still there is low risk of becoming cancerous in future if not removed soon.

mysticdoc :

Hence, a second opinion from a surgeon is welcome but it is good idea to consider its removal.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : I understand your concern.
mysticdoc : Since this lump is present for 5 years without much growth or any other symptoms, this is unlikely cancerous.
mysticdoc : Still there is low risk of becoming cancerous in future if not removed soon.
mysticdoc : Hence, a second opinion from a surgeon is welcome but it is good idea to consider its removal.
mysticdoc : Best wishes,
mysticdoc : Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your reply. it is comforting. just to add around the lump i have 3 or 4 warts also. i also read on the net that this could be a lipoma. i also read that subcutenous lumps are not malignant/ cancerous. i'll be seeing the other surgeon on monday.

The warts can be due to the HPV virus infection sometimes.
Warts are not cancerous as per se.
Subcutaneous lump is not usually cancerous without any other rectal symptoms.

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the surgeon who saw me first did check (stuck a finger inside my anus) and said it was clear - nothing abnormal. would that be a way of checking any rectal symptoms?

do i need to be worried about the warts? can they be removed when the lump is removed so that it is all clear 'down there' ?

can this all recur after surgery?

how long would the surgery be? and the recovery time?

thanks

Yes correct --that is the way to check for any bleeding or hemorrhoids inside.

Warts are not worrisome as they can be removed during surgery as well.
The recurrence rate is low after surgery.
The surgery should not be more than 30-40 minutes.
The recovery will be within a week or so.

Best wishes,

This is the link to my profile: