Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

Moderate to heavy drinker for about 10 years . At age 34, had

Moderate to heavy drinker for about 10 years . At age 34, had a bout of afib after a major 3 day bender. Also was drinking lots of caffeine, using smokeless tobacco, dehydrated and stressed.

It's now been 8 months, not a drink since the afib and no reoccurrences. Quit smokeless tobacco and have lost 30 pounds and feel great. Is it safe for me to begin drinking socially again?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Amir Javed replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to say that first of all you should not drink at least for about 12 months from the atrial fibrillation as this can trigger again. I think you should avoid drinking as this can be harmful for your life because you already got episode of atrial fibrillation due to alcohol. It is important to have detail follow up with your cardiologist and in the mean while you should not drink.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.

Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience: Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)