Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I was taken off Armour thyroid after developing atrial fibrillation

I was taken off Armour thyroid after developing atrial fibrillation and tachacardia 8 months ago. Currently I am with a cardioloist that has me on Metoprolol 25ER and flecainide PRN. The TSH was 38. amd now since slowly starting back on Armour thyroid, it is now 10. with a normal T3 and T4. I just started adding another 15mg. every other day to try to get it to 60gm.

I am concerned about having to take the Beta blocker, as if I am more than 30 minutes off in taking it, I get Tachacardia again. I am gaining weight about 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks,have high eye pressure readings, and now my blood pressure is over 120 for the first time in my life. I am 71yrs old with no risks factors or heart problems.

I just would like your view point and some encouragement that I can return to my previous good health. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks you so much, Joan, Utah.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi Joan,

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Just to clarify, are you asking if metoprolol should be continued or not?

Hi Joan,
mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : Just to clarify, are you asking if metoprolol should be continued or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, as I seem to need it as the racing heart goes into Abif after about 30-60 minutes. I am concerned about the side affects and ever being able to get off of it. The cardioloist said after we get my thyroid back to "normal" we will evaluate ablation or continuing meds.

I want to be able to get off the meds and go back to my healthy state but hear little to suggest this. [ My afib was set off during a virus last Feb. and now every new med or vitamin etc added sets off afib again.]

My Internal Medicine Doc is working with me on the thyroid at this time but paints rather a confusing, bleak picture. I am sorry my questions is "can I hope to get back to normal weight, blood pressure, etc and off the meds once the TSH is down to a "normal rate"?

Thanks for your detailed reply.
Atrial fibrillatino can be fully treated by the radiofrequency ablation procedure in most cases.
Beta blocker and flecainide can be stopped after the procedure.
Your symptoms should subside after your TSH returns to the normal which is below 2.5 as per current recommendations.
The thyroid medication should be adjusted till then slowly.
Levothyroxine is preferred to armour thyroid as per current recommendation.
But if armour thyroid suits you well, this can be continued.
o do not give up hope, you have good chance of returning to normal life without beta blocker after ontrol has been achieved on your thyroid and heart.
This mat take 6 to 8 months.
But that is not long time.

Best wishes,

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you are right about getting back to "normal". I do not feel good about ablation and the 60% sucess on my type problem and I tried the levathyroxine and my heart went right into atrial fib.

I will keep working with the present approach.