Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am a 62 yr. old female bus driver who needs to drink a 5

I am a 62 yr. old female bus driver who needs to drink a 5 hour energy drink to stay alert. But I have been experiencing some symptoms of slight queasiness, then the flushing of my right arm pit, then it spreads down my right leg into my right foot! With hearing that 9 people have died from the use of 5 hour energy drinks, I have to wonder if these symptoms are related to them? If not, then what is causing these symptoms???
How often do you drink the energy drink? When you say flushing do you mean those areas actually redden? How soon after you drink the energy drink do these symptoms occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've never looked at my arm pit to see if it is reddened but just feel the heat in my right arm pit then in my right arch of my foot. I have found no timely rhyme or reason to the flushing, except that the only time they stopped completely was while I was on a 5 day break for thanks giving. They usually would wake me up in the morning from a sound sleep, and then off and on during the day. I am post menopausal by the way.

I usually drink only one Mon. through Fri. that's all I need to stay alert and non drowsy.

And do you ever drink anything else with caffeine in it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a diet pepsi drinker, but most of it is caffeine free.

OK. First off, so far, we don't know the circumstances and the exact cause of death that have been reported so far and as far as caffeine goes, the amount in a five hour energy drink is about the same as two cups of coffee. If someone had a cardiac condition like atrial fibrillation or some other supraventricular tachycardia then that amount of caffeine might be significant, and since caffeine can raise blood pressure it potentiallly could cause a brain aneurysm to rupture. All that said, I don't thing your symptoms have anything to do with the five hour energy drink. As for the actual cause of your flushing, that's a bit hard to be precise about but it could be delayed menopausal symptoms or it could indicate either a thyroid problem.or potentially a peripheral neuropathy as is seen in diabetics as well as with autoimmune disorders like lupus. I would suggest you have your doctor evaluate the symptoms, but again I see no reason to say that the five hour energy drink is causing them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have talked to my GP about it. He sent me to a Neurologist. The Neurologist did a test of shocks to the lower half of my legs. Test results coming in Dec. As far as delayed menopausal symptoms go it's been too long ago. The GP has also tested for diabetes, with a urine 24 hour test, but I have not been given the results yet. Must not be or I would have been called back for a consult. If it's nothing then just say so, and I'll ignore the symptoms.

Well, it's obviously something so I can't just say it's nothing but I don't think it's anything to serious and what I meant by delayed menopausal symptoms is that even if you went through that years ago, you can still have a hormonal flux later in life.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, benefit of the dought, I will continue to try and get specific answers to my issues. I have been trying to be proactive at trying to figure out the common denominator of what could be causing it. I am not on high blood pressure medication. I have been diagnosed as stage 1 only. Maybe the caffine is pushing it up more. That too could be a common denominator. Right?

Possibly but if it were a blood pressure problem I would expect it to occur soon after the drink and to resolve after a few hours. One obvious way to see if it were the drink is not to have it for one day or more and see if the flushing stops.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said before, the only time I became completely symptom free was last week when we were on a 5 day time off for thanks giving and I had no need for the energy drinks. So, yes the symptoms stopped after discontinuance of the energy drinks. But, now I am back to work Mon. thru Fri. and have to have them again. I have yet to start having symptoms again, but feel sure that they will return.

Then likely is is due to the drinks, but if it's just a caffeine flush that would not necessarily be dangerous. You might try taking in a caffeinate beverage in a slower fashion like a cup of coffee that you sip on rather than taking all the caffeine at one time in a shot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would drink coffee if I could stand the taste! But, I can not! So, the energy drink is a blessing for people like me. So, thank you! You have helped me to finally get some answers! You'd think my doctor could and would have at least given me that much information! It's frustrating not knowing if I had something serious going on!

My pleasure--drive safely