Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

Can I take Ramipril, Viagra and Metformin togther?

Good Afternoon, and thank you for your question.

ACE inhibitors, such as Ramipril, may potentiate the hypoglycemic effects of oral antidiabetic drugs, including metformin. The mechanism is unknown. Symptomatic and sometimes severe hypoglycemia has occurred (per drugs.com).

This means that you should not take these together, without your doctor's approval. So it is possible to take them together, but you would need to carefully monitor your blood sugar levels, and if it was found that the Ramipril potentiated (increased) the effect of your metformin, you might need a decreased dose of metformin, or another drug may be substituted for Ramipril.

It is also recommended that Patients receiving the combination of Ramipril and Metformin be advised to avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or recumbent position, especially following treatment initiation or a dosage increase, and to contact their doctor if they experience symptoms of hypotension such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or tachycardia.

There are no other interactions listed for this combination of drugs (Ramipril, Viagra, and Metformin).

I hope this is helpful. Please reply if you have any questions or need clarification.

Thanks, again.