Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Im said to have COPD. I just got over a cold with alot of

Customer Question

I'm said to have COPD. I just got over a cold with alot of coughing, plus I have a hiatal hernia. Is it possible to aggravate the hernia to the point of causing internal bleeding?
I just a a dark red bloody stool although it's been 10 days since I coughed badly. I've been getting up from chair and couch a bit dizzy, my diaphram area has been very sore (down the sternum and across the bottom rib.
If my next bowel movement is bloody I plan to go to the ER
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Is that blood mixed with stool?

DR HASAN :

Do you pass it after the bowel movement or along with the bowel movement?

DR HASAN :

Please enter the chat to proceed.

DR HASAN :

Randall are you with me?

Customer:

It seemed to be dark red/brown stool not diarea but a soft stool all the same color. the blood was red that mixed with the water. As I wiped It was dark red/brown

Customer:

yes

DR HASAN :

Do you have any lower abdominal pain too?

Customer:

not today, yesterday and before

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

Any fever?

DR HASAN :

Any pain on pressing the stomach area?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Thanks again.

Customer:

not really, it was worse a couple days ago

DR HASAN :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

DR HASAN :

No its not possible to aggravate hernia to the point of bleeding.

DR HASAN :

Specially in your case , its not likely that your bleeding is from stomach.

DR HASAN :

Its likely to be from lower intestines because in stomach related bleeding there is no fresh blood.

DR HASAN :

rather stool has to be dark like black tarry stool.

DR HASAN :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations avoidance of aspirin and brufen is necessary.

DR HASAN :

OTC Cap omeprazole 40mg once daily will take away the soreness.

Customer:

I had oral cancer 11 years ago and I have a peg tube for food I've been on a feeding tube for 11 years

DR HASAN :

But i really suggest that you should visit ER because the bleeding issue needs investigations

DR HASAN :

But till that time drink lots of fluid like Gatorade.,

DR HASAN :

PEG tube is not likely to cause this bleeding because if blood comes from stomach, till the time it reaches rectum, it should turn black.

DR HASAN :

Any specific questions in your mind?

Customer:

I'll go to the ER now

DR HASAN :

Yes that will be really good and safe for you because there is no other option.

DR HASAN :

I really wish that you get well soon.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

happy holidays

DR HASAN :

please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just got back from hospital. Bleeding ulcer. They scoped it, took a sample tissue, injected medicine. I got 5 quarts of fluid 2 pints of some other clear fluid and 5 pints of blood.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am so sorry to hear about your problem. How are you feeling now and is there anything I can help you with? Regards.