911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Hello... I found a bump under my left armpit Tuesday morning....it

Customer Question

Hello...
I found a bump under my left armpit Tuesday morning....it seemed to get slightly worse as the week went on but now (maybe?) isn't quite as tender or sore as it was. Maybe just be me though. This morning I felt a what I think was something similar but much much smaller under my right armpit.

I feel fine otherwise- no recent injuries....

I have a Dr's appt for Tuesday morning...

Any insight?

Normal and will go away with time?

Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

almost certainly of little or no concern

911Doctor :

as you may know the armpit

911Doctor :

or 'axilla' as we call it

911Doctor :

contains lymph nodes just like you feel in your neck when you get a cold

911Doctor :

these lymph nodes can become enlarged in response to any kind of infection, and you might not even feel sick

911Doctor :

the most important thing you said

911Doctor :

is that this is going away.... getting smaller

Customer:

hello...

Customer:

yes, I think

911Doctor :

I think your doctor, by Tuesday

Customer:

It just started Tuesday

911Doctor :

is ulikely to be able to find it.

911Doctor :

got it.... hello

911Doctor :

with such a quick onset of symptoms

911Doctor :

this is simply nothing to worry about at this point

911Doctor :

especially with it getting smaller

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Can't help but worry about the C word when doing research online...Lymphoma

911Doctor :

lol

911Doctor :

that's very common

911Doctor :

and certainly understandable

911Doctor :

that you would go to the internet and find some scary stuff

911Doctor :

but nothing about your story makes me think in the least about any kind of cancer.

Customer:

ok...good to hear...

Customer:

lymph node enlarging common?

911Doctor :

cancer and lymphoma comes on slowly over time and is associated with other symptoms

911Doctor :

and yes

911Doctor :

lymph node enlargement is common

911Doctor :

it's just your body behaving properly

Customer:

ok...you sure right? :-)

911Doctor :

i am sure that I am right that there is almost no chance that this represents anything to worry about... not cancer, not lymphoma....

911Doctor :

I think you can rest easy till Tuesday

Customer:

good deal...thank you for your time!

911Doctor :

and at your appointment your doctor will probably tell you exactly what I just did

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

Customer:

BTW...I did just have a phsical a few weeks ago...

Customer:

nothing unusual then

911Doctor :

even bettter, that adds to my sureness that this is nothing to worry about.

Customer:

ok- have a great day!

911Doctor :

you too!

911Doctor :

if this has been helpful, please remember, positive feedback is always greatly appreciated...

911Doctor :

be well, and don't worry!

911Doctor :

best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr.

I think I was imagining things when I said yesterday that the bump under my arm was getting smaller....I don't think it is.

It's still continues to be very tender and sore and has remained the same size for the last few days....

Dr appt still scheduled for Tuesday morning....anything I can do in the meantime to help with the pain?

Thanks

Scott

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
motrin or alleve as long as you are not allergic.... warm compresses three times a day will help as well. I don't want you to worry about this thing... It is likely a reactive node... benign... and one that will resolve. in the meantime you can use the medicines mentioned and warm compresses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got it...thank you!

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
you are most welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Follow up from my appt this morning....

Clogged duct....he said it was pretty bad.

After he saw it he said "you wanna fix it"

I replied "Is it going to hurt"

He said I may feel some poking and proding but nothing too bad....and what an understatement that was....

After numbing it he was slicing and dicing and poking and proding for a good 10 minutes....even after more shot to help ease the pain it was still a lot of pain....

3 stitches later I'm not home resting for the remainder of the day with an antibiotic and pain medicine.....

I'll be in some pain for the next couple days...but glad that part of it is over...

Thanks for your help

Scott

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

very strange... so you had a small abscess.... glad you had the appointment. sorry it was painful!

thanks for the update.

best