Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, About 18 months ago I discovered a semi hard lump

About 18 months ago I discovered a semi hard lump on the outside of my shin bone. It feel like a bump but can only be felt on contraction of the muscle. The lump radiates pain whenever I go for walks or contract if for long periods of time. It doesn't appear to have grown but the pain has become more apparent. The lump also doesn't move and almost feels a bit like muscle tissue. I have been to see my GP on a few occasions with them verifying something was there but nothing has shown up on Xray or ultrasound in both showed nothing.

Other symptoms (could be completely unrelated) very hot at night this could be hormonal, I am 26 year old female.

In need of some advice or reassurance as I have read up on Sarcomas and as this does not feel fatty, doesn't move and has persisted for so long I am bit concerned.

Hi--just to be clear, you can only feel the lump when the muscle is contracted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr yes I can't feel it unless I contract it or when I am standing when the muscle is relaxed it is very hard to feel it out.

And the ultrasound showed absolutely nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the radiographers says there is nothing there she moved the scanner up and down. I had one doctor say it might be a swollen lymph node but have had it for so long the pain radiates from the lump just above the bone but feels like it is in muscle tissue.

OK. I think it's likely this is a bit of tenosynovitis of the ligament and nothing serious--certainly not cancer or a sarcoma. The way to determine that would be with an MRI instead of an ultrasound since I wouldn't expect an ultrasound to detect it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr would this persist for so long and the lumps?

I will take your advice and get an MRI.

What makes you rule out cancer- need reassurance.

Yes--a chronic tenosynovitis could last a long time Not cancer because that would have shown up on the x-rays and the ultrasound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr!

My Pleasure--any time