Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Our grandson, 14 months, recently had ETV surgery which seems

Our grandson, 14 months, recently had ETV surgery which seems to have been successful. What are short term and long term symptoms and health care to be aware of?
Hi--were there symptoms that he had before the surgery that have now resolved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Surgery was performed on 11/21/12 and since then he has an appetite and is eating more and drinking an 8 oz bottle. Used to stop after 2oz. He has started to take some steps independently, climb on low furniture, has a louder voice (cry). More active during day and less restless sleeping at night.
Very good. Now can you tell me exactly what you meant about short term and long term symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I suppose family needs to be aware of prior symptoms- refusal to eat, problems with balance and sleeping. Anything else as warning signs? Also, whether there is any long term brain damage i.e. seizures or hornonal imbalance?
OK. As to the short term the only thing to watch for would be signs of infection--fever, headache, lethargy. No long term brain damage from the operation and certainly no problems with hormonal imbalance. The only disadvantage of the ETV procedure as opposed to a regular ventricular shunt is that the ventriculostomy may later become narrowed or closed and a regular shunt would be needed at that point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible to "re-do" the ETV years later. There are many drawbacks to the shunt. Anything on seizures?
No problem with seizures with the ETV--they could be possible with the shunt. The ETV could possibly be redone but it would depend on the amount of scar tissue involved in the future.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How often for MRI follow-up?
In six months as a start, then once a year for three years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. This seemed hard to diagnose because he is such a happy, sociable baby. Is that unusual?
At that age it can be hard to diagnose in the early stages--if he were older and more communicative the symptoms would be easier to spot
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have app't with pediatric speech therapist to address swallowing and eating issues. Any ideas as to how to prepare for app't or questions to ask?
What are his swallowing and eating issues?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Some gagging on soft, thick foods; adamant refusal without tasting on others. Doing better with bottle and sippy cup.
And what have you been told about what a speech therapist does?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is planning to observe and evaluate whether there are physical issues stemming from his previous high pressures. Some of his refusal may be learned behavior because he had no appetite.
OK. Of course she'll need all the history you can give her. As for questions to ask--what exactly is the problem as she sees it and what she can do to treat that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, we already planned on those questions- I was looking for your medical perspective.
Can you tell me more about what information you need?