Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

UGH! I just typed out my whole question and then lost it! Our

UGH! I just typed out my whole question and then lost it!
Our son, Kyle, is 22 years old. When he was in 5th grade he fractured his back playing football. The docs told him to just lie still for a couple weeks. In middle school and high school he played soccer, baseball, and basketball. When Kyle was 15, our family doc started giving Kyle pain killers. And continued to prescribe them. We figured the doc knew what he was doing so we didn't intervene. Now he has 3 docs. One has diagnosed him with fibromyalgia. This has given Kyle reason now to not work or barely get out of bed, because "he hurts so much." He has a pain management doc who says he may have pain, but that Kyle is more psychotic than anything else. However, she prescribes meds. Then he has a psychiatrist, who after 3 visits said he is adhd and prescribed more meds. So now, Kyle is on 7 meds that are frying his brain. He lives to take the pills which my husband has to control since Kyle mixes them all and if one feels good then 3. would be much better.
These are the meds he is on: cymbalta, clonazapam, lyrica, intuniv, trammadol, flexoral, and tizanidine. We even had to buy a safe just for the meds!
We live in the San Antonio, Tx area. My question is 3-fold. Your recommendation, is there one doc in San Antonio who you can recommend to cover all of this, and/or is it time for rehab?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi--all the psychiatrist had to offer was that he had ADHD and no other psychological disorder? He literally barely gets out of bed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. He has no job and says he can't do an hourly job. He wants to design websites. He has done that, but he will get in the middle of a project and then go crazy on meds again. It's almost as if he is afraid to succeed. The psychiatrist says he needs talk therapy. He gave no other disorder.

The counselor who he saw a couple years ago, says he has no adhd. Kyle is manipulative and has an over-glorified view of himself. There is a name for that disorder...can't remember it. But our problem is trying to get him off these meds.

We took him to a holistic doc ($3300) who did a saliva test. It showed a high level of cortisol (not sure that is right). We were making progress, but Kyle didn't get the buzz from the vitamins that he would from the pain meds.

Thank you for working on this with me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--let'x keep going here. What happens if you refuse to give him his meds or only allow him to have, say, only selected ones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are some of the meds those that you have to wean him off of. My husband is his drug dealer and lays them out in the morning and evening as prescribed. Except for Trammadol...doc says he can have 2 every 4 hours. Am I crazy for thinking that the docs are crazy?

My husband did tell him that he would not give him anymore Trammadol unless he got out and walked. So yesterday he walked a short distance.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The Cymbalta and the clonazepam would need weaning. So what is he like when he gets all these meds--does he actually function?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure at this point. He has convinced himself that he needs all of them. I wonder if he has fried his brain. He did tell the psychiatrist that he takes the meds when he feels he needs them. So even though my husband is giving them at the prescribed time, he may not be taking them right.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So when he is taking them all he still can't, say, apply himself to a job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's right. He says he still has too much pain. He is alkso addicted to chewing tobacco. Not sure where he is getting his money for that other than scrounging around our house for money.

Our son was happy-go-lucky prior to pain killers. People liked him. Now they avoid him.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--what was going on when he was 15 that required pain medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He was playing a lot of sports and I am thinking that the fractured back from 5th grade may have been irritated...not sure. Once he got started on the drugs, he told our family doc that he needed stronger ones. And the doc gave him whatever he asked for.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First, I think he needs a different psychiatrist and one that has sit down sessions with him on a regular basis, meds aside. He may have a personality disorder in addition to, perhaps ADHD and he may need cognitive behavioral therapy for that. I do think he has either an addiction or at least a drug abuse problem and he obviously has drug seeking behavior. I would have his pain management doctor wean him off the Cymbalta and the clonazepam and reconsider the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. It sounds as though he's being over medicated and under treated as goes his psychological problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help. That sounds good. I will contact those docs on Monday. You are a voice of reason. Blessings to you and your family.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice