Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

My throat will get very sore when I breathe through my nose.

My throat will get very sore when I breathe through my nose. It also hurts to swallow. Any help?

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Since how long do you have this problem?

Do you get heart burn?

Distaste of mouth when you get up in the morning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've had it for about a week now. No heart burn or dis taste in mouth. I do have a headache to. It's not sore in the front of the throat but the upper back of the throat.

Thank you very much.

There are few important reasons for this.

First, this can be due to inflammation of the nasopharynx as a result of allergies.

Secondly, an infection involving the mucosa of the nasopharynx can also give you similar sensations.

Finally, Gastroesophageal Reflux, when become very severe, can lead to spilling of stomach secretion in to the throat, often at night when one is sleeping and not aware of this. These secretions damage the mucosa of the throat and hence you can get similar feeling.

Right now following measures will be helpful for you;

Avoid large fatty and spicy meals

Small frequent meals, soft diet will help

Avoid smoking/alcohol

Plenty of luke warm liquids like green tea, coffee, soups will help

Avoid lying flat immediately after the meals

If this persists, does not improve or get worse, see you doctor for a clinical examination and necessary tests to chalk out further management plan.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Stay relaxed.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will

appreciate 4/5 Star Rating (Good/Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the

only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up

questions or clarifications any time.