DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
24257177

I have battled with the symptoms below for about 5 years now.

Customer Question

I have battled with the symptoms below for about 5 years now. Is there anything else it could be other than the causes I have listed? Is there any way to eliminate some of the causes at home so that I require less testing from the doctor. Also, I did a sleep apnea test this week and am waiting on the results from that.

Physical symptoms:

Bloated stomach all the time, Drinking water makes me bloated and I have to pee within half an hour. Thin hair, dry skin, weakness, fatigue. Feel like I'm going to pass out a lot. Feel cold when others don't. Baggy, dark eyes. Skin blushing/flushing. Skin blushing/flushing. Difficulty breathing through nose. Always feel like there's a lump in the back of my throat. Bad morning breathe every morning. Gynecomastia(make breasts) loud breathing,  very soft muscles. Heat intolerance. Hot showers fatigue me instantly. I feel like falling asleep, but I feel normal as soon as I step out of the shower. I feel like there's pressure inside my head. I feel tired and wired most of the time. Dry mouth. Tightness and pressure in the head. Shortness of breath.

Sleep:

Get sleepy when driving. Sleep too much and still tired. Hard for me to sleep unless the left side of my head is on my pillow. Sleeping difficulty at night and trouble waking in the morning. Often feel like I want to sleep after getting 10 to 12 hours of sleep, but I can’t. Wake up at night many times. Have to get up to pee most nights. I wake up every morning to find my sheets half off the bed like Id turned so many times that they got pushed off.

Energy:

Low energy. Ongoing fatigue, not relieved by sleep. Weariness. Lack of energy. Lethargy.
Sometimes Feeling “tired and wired.”

Temperament & Coping Style:

Inability to handle everyday stress. Feeling overwhelmed by relatively minor challenges. Mild depression. Struggling to get through the day. Tendency to avoid conflict. High anxiety. Panic attacks. Socially withdrawn. Difficulty communicating with people. Can't enjoy anything. Mostly because I can't focus. Nervousness, restlessness, sweaty when around stressful situations. Angry outbursts.

Mental Clarity:

Mental fogginess, fuzzy thinking, racing thoughts, scattered thinking, inability to focus on one task for very long. Poor memory. Tunnel vision most of the time. Can't focus. slow reaction time. Dizziness, anxiety, inability to relax even when I'm by myself. Confusion. Inability to focus on details. Forget what I'm doing a lot. Forget what I was talking about mid conversation. Extremely impulsive. Often act without thinking. Difficulty getting organized. Reckless driving. Often find myself speeding. Poor listening skills. Zone out a lot. Poor judge of time. Chronic lateness. Get distracted easily. Problems starting tasks. Problems prioritizing issues.

Blood Pressure: Normal.

Emotional Health(symptoms or causes of other symptoms?): Lack of confidence. Anxiety. Feel constantly under strain. Feel unhappy. Feel that I am incapable of making decisions and leading my own life. Feel Worthless at times. Socially withdrawn. Angry outbursts. Fear of being embarrassed or behaving in a socially unacceptable manner. Excessive, ongoing worry and tension. Performance anxiety: Racing pulse and rapid breathing. Dry mouth and tight throat. Social anxiety: Sensitive to rejection/criticism. Have difficulty asserting myself. Makes it difficult for me to do many things. Have physical symptoms when in social situations. Dizziness, sweating, heart-racing, blank mind. I avoid many social situations if I can.

Definitely have social anxiety and have had it my whole life, but I’m not sure if it’s a symptom or a cause of something else. Mostly because a lot of the physical, concentration, and sleep problems only started 5 years ago.

Possibilities:

Thyroid. Sleep apnea. Anxiety. ADHD. Depression. Adrenal fatigue. OCD. Chronic fatigue syndrome.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
OK
Before we go on tell me your current
Tests and results
Diagnoses
Family history
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had a Cat scan and an MRI on the brain which both came back normal and a sleep study test twice. Once three years ago. They couldn't figure out what was wrong, but it was obvious that something was obstructing my sleep. I had another done this past Monday and I don't have the results from that yet. The neurologist I saw 3 years ago that set up my sleep study suggested that I might have anxiety/depression and prescribed more exercise and an ssri. I followed her advice, but stopped the ssri when it became apparent that it wasn't helping. I have continued exercising since then. I have tried to ignore the symptoms and I haven't had any other testing done. It seems like my dad and my brothers have similar symptoms, but to a lesser degree. They haven't had any testing done and my older relatives haven't either so I don't have anything for family history. However, my dad snores and most of my family has high blood pressure. I have normal blood pressure and do not snore. I am also extremely sensitive to stimulants. They make me feel dizzy and sick. I avoid them completely. I also avoid sugary foods and drinks as they seem to make me nauseous.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Did the sleep study show apnea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The first test was inconclusive as I barely slept the whole night. The wires made it difficult for me to sleep. I don't believe that it showed apnea though.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
Apnea can do this...upset everything.
Have you had your thyroid checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I should get the results of my second sleep study soon. No, I haven't.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
OK
Hypothyroidism..in fact any thyroid imbalance can cause a lot of symptoms.
YOu need a TSH and T4.
You should have an AM cortisol to make sure the adrenals are OK

If this turns out to be anxiety, we don't just try one medicine and stop, there are many, so if one does not work we go on to others.

There are functional medicine approaches here which are more natural and address underlying biochemistry.
MDs trained in this can be found here.

www.functionalmedicine.com.

Let me know if you have further questions. If you have any concerns just use reply to expert until you are ready to rate a positive for your satisfaction..

Please click on one of the positive ratings [smiley faces]: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got my sleep study results and I have sleep apnea. It doesn't explain all of my symptoms. Could the apnea be a symptom of hyperthyroid or adrenal fatigue or are these symptoms typical of one with apnea?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
You would be surprised how much clears up if you treat the apnea.
Treatment is
Weight loss until ideal weight
CPAP
This should be treated but you need a TSH value.
If TSH is over 2.5 this can give you more symptoms [hypothyroidism] and you are not going to lose weight, so it should be treated.
AM Cortisol will screen the adrenals.

\