Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

What are the normal C3 and C4 levels. What numbers indicate

What are the normal C3 and C4 levels. What numbers indicate hIGh levels of infection and loW INFECTION.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

why were those tests ordered?

mysticdoc :

each lab has its own reference range.

mysticdoc :

the normal range is:

mysticdoc :

C3 0.65 - 1.65 g/L;

C4 0.16 – 0.60 g/L

mysticdoc :

So any value less than 2 times the normal taken as low grade infection or inflammation.

Customer:

Tests were ordered as she has systemic vasculitis, with chronic rheumatoid arthritis. Now has severely ulcerated legs with pseudanomas and mrsa bacteria. The ulcers are spreading. She is in a hospital where they seem unable to provide the correct bandages required

Customer:

what does C3 or C4 at 100 mean? what rate should it be reduced to before she leaves hospital?

mysticdoc :

C3 and C4 are complements produced in the body due to the inflammation.

mysticdoc :

You have not mentioned the unit.

mysticdoc :

But I assume in g/l

Customer:

the unit is 100

Customer:

Yes in g/l

mysticdoc :

that is the number

Customer:

yes

mysticdoc :

100 g/l or 100 mg/dl?

mysticdoc :

ok that s very high.

mysticdoc :

This suggests overwhelming inflammation from infection which has spread--critical

mysticdoc :

the lvel should be brought down below 10.

mysticdoc :

This means prolonged IV antibiotic therapy and other supprtive measures.

Customer:

they keep giving 7 day course of antibiotics rather than 10; then discharge and infection still there and this is the third time back in hospital. they do not advise whether the level has reduced. Also does she have the right to know what are the sensitivity and resistance to the intravenous antibiotics used, and how this changes if use new antibiotics?

mysticdoc :

Yes ofcourse.

mysticdoc :

Ideally, an infectious disease specialist should manage her case she recovers fully.

mysticdoc :

A surgeon should be consulted to debride the ulcers so that the bacteria do not breed in the dead ulcer tissue..

Customer:

at same time ulceration on the bone has spread from one leg to the other and hospital don't know what gel, bandages to use. she has to advise herself at best guess. then hospital forget to order bandages needed and talk about sending her home. The bandages ,gel etc are critical as the district nurses do not have access to these bandages. Then legs are left with green pus coming out and she has been sent home twice without appropriate pain medication bandaging and other gels needed etc. they seem to have a policy of 7 days antibiotics and not 10.

Customer:

could yu kindly explain what yu mean by debride the ulcers?

mysticdoc :

that means remove the dead tissue from the ulcers so that the healthy tissue can fill the ulcer up.

mysticdoc :

this is done the wound surgeon.

mysticdoc :

this is done by the wound surgeon.

mysticdoc :

to heal the ulcers, negative pressure vacuum and hyperbaric oxygen can be used.

Customer:

is it a simile process to treatment for severe burns?

mysticdoc :

This is only possible under care of a wound specialist.

mysticdoc :

something like that

Customer:

Does the wound surgeon do this under anesthetic?

mysticdoc :

yes

mysticdoc :

Any other questions?

Customer:

could you advise in order to deride the ulcers would a wound surgeon use general or local anesthetic ?

mysticdoc :

local anesthetic

mysticdoc :

the term is debride

Customer:

thank you very much for your detailed answer

mysticdoc :

best wishes

mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer:

Best Wishes

mysticdoc :

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD